Friday, July 27, 2007

Oh when the saints ( and Adam Warren appreciation post )

This Wednesday was my Namenstag which according to my englisch lexikon is called nameday in Amerika.


In Spain it´s called " el dia de my santo " ( day of my saint ) and it´s a big deal. One of the reasons is that in Spain christian mythology plays an important role in everyday life so the nameday is always celebrated in a grand manner. It´s almost as important as your birthday. And if you think about it one of things that defines us are our names. Not only in the occult realm names have power - and if you don´t believe me just think about the number of hollywood actors or singers that changed their name to be more successful.


The other reason why the 25th of July is always abig day in Spain is that my patron saint is also the patron saint of all Spain. Yep, with all the troubles, catastrophes and just crazy shit I get sucked into because of the crazy ideas of my brother, the stuff of my family and just ordinary life it´s a good thing that I have a very welltrained patron saint.


Now since my nameday and my birthday are only five days apart my brothers usually forget the first one. Okay, the important thing is that they remember my birthday, right ? At least my younger brother does because his birthday is on the day after my bithday. Which means that I get a present from him but I also have to get one for him. For this year I still haven´t gotten his present because I´m broke till my money arrives. I hope it arrives till Monday so that I can buy one because my brother flies to Spain on Tuesday ( probably before I get up ) and I would like to give him his present before that.


Anyway, that´s not what I wanted to write about. On San Santiago´s day ( the saint so nice they had to name him twice ) I wanted to make a quick post with something like " happay nameday to myself yadda yadda " and was searching a picture I once made. I had done it for the now sadly defunct LEAVE IT TO CHANCE, one of the best comics I have read, and I knew that I had posted it somewhere. I finally remembered that I had posted one version on fanart galleries and another version on deviantart ( it took me half an hour to remember the name of that particular website ) and started to look for them.


Now on fanartgalleries that was no big deal because all the galleries are listed in alphabetical order but on deviantart it was a totally different beast. The only way to search was by the name of the picture and it took me 4 tries to find my gallery typing in " leave it to chance ", " she dragon ", " dragon " and finally " dragon cop " which were some of the names of pictures my brother had posted back in the golden days when our scanner was working.


While searching for my pics I ran across a lot of other pics of Rogue


or Power Girl


( who seems to be a popular character to draw )


but mostly of Adam Warren.


Ever since the second DIRTY PAIR miniseries I have been a big fan of his work. I got the first issues when I was serving in Munich in Jürgen´s Comicshop and I bought the signed hardcover edition of the first trade at a comic fair years later. At that time I didn´t know what amerimanga was but I knew what I liked.


What can I say, at that time I didn´t read as much comics as today......aww, who am I kidding ? I read MORE comics than today but since comics cost a third of what they cost today I had more money to spend on hardcovers and signed editions. But back to Adam Warren.


Looking at all the pictures I realized that Adam Warren SHOULD have been on my " 100 reasons why I love comics " list and he really SHOULD be doing more comics. Now I love his pin ups for PSM and the other game magazines. Especially the swimsuit pin ups.........homina, homina...


Or his funny last pages for PSM


( that I sometimes don´t understand because I don´t know the particular game that it´s all about and so have no idea what he´s talking about )


but I sure whish he would do more mainstream stuff.


I´m not very picky, I don´t care if it´s another Dirty Pair miniseries or a one shot for the big two. Okay, maybe he´s a little frustrated because both his piches for a Dirty Pair / Superman crossover and a Dirty Pair / Gen 13 crossover ( that would have been totally airwolf ! ) were not accepted but don´t you think he would be totally awesome on a VALKYRIE or SHANNA oneshot ?


He´s high on my list of comic creators I want to see more of. I know he´s working on the second part of his EMPOWERED series but I would be happier if he did straight forward superhero stuff instead of another superhero satire series. Not that EMPOWERED is bad - it´s one of the funniest comics I´ve read. And the best character of the cast is a cthullu - like lovecraftian elder god who´s trapped in a high tech belt ( don´t ask - just buy it and read it ) which is a feat a comic writer has to pull off in the first place. I just don´t know how big the audience is for this title since it´s also a comic straight for adults with all the nudity and sexual innuendo.


Be that as it may I spent the next days putting all the pics in order and it took me three days to post it. I just hope I get to post my birthday post in time.

Oh, by the way this is the picture I was looking for in the first place. I did it a few years ago and even sent it to the letters page of LEAVE IT TO CHANCE but since I did that around the time the series went on hiatus ( I´m not sure if it´s been officially canceled ) I never found out if they received it or read it at all.


This was one of my earliest coloring jobs but I think it looks rather nicely. Being a big fan of crime stories that take place in sewers ( which I think must have something to do with all the EC comics I read ) I put the two main characters there. I thought about putting some of the gremlins there but then I opted to go for the simple design. Like one of the main rules of design says : Keep it simple ! ( That´s the one Kyle Rayner apparently never heard of - which to me was always kind of strange with him being an artist ). I did it in the style used in the series which I think I pulled off pretty well.

New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN :


  • top ten posts



  • more posts of interest



  • For all who feel fear must burn at the touch of the Swamp Thing !

    No comments: