Monday, April 16, 2018

Midnight Madness Monday with Tom Sutton

As I predicted it took me some time to collect all the necessary material for this post although not nearly as long as I had originally anticipated.


What also didn´t go as planned is that instead of doing a post about just one series Tom Sutton worked on this one has material from a variety of comic books and comic companies. Because after completing my research I have enough good pictures that this post is if not better than at least as good as last year´s post I did on Tom Sutton. Some of this art was not easy to come by ( no pun intended ) like the stuff he did under the pseudonym Dementia for Fantagraphics Eros Comix imprint ( are they still around ? ) which was either of low quality or not safe for work. Now I thought about dating this post back so it would go between the Sarah Louise Young post and the Yaya Han post but that is just too complicated. Also I´d have to change the title and since it would not be at the top of the blog readers might miss it. And I´ve put too much work into it. Anyway, here is this year´s selection of Tom Sutton art, I hope you enjoy it and there are plenty of comics out there if this spurs the need to seek out his work.


Because I had most of the material in this post prepared in advance there are not that many links but as always thanks and kudos go out to all the usual websites where you can find original art like COMIC ART FANS and HERITAGE AUCTIONS. I also have to thank the original poster of the cover from All New Haunted 20, Pete Doree at THE BRONZE AGE OF BLOGS where you can not only read the full issue but also The Hellfire Club from issue 61 of All New The Many Ghosts Of Doctor Graves. And speaking of doctors, there is some great Tom Sutton art from his all too short run on Doctor Strange with writer Roger Stern on MAGAZINES AND MONSTERS and you can also find a lot of posts about Ernie Chan there . A few months ago I had the good fortune to find vols 7 and 8 of the MARVEL MASTERWORKS with Doctor Strange on amazon.de for half price and I can only give the utmost recommendation for these. I know that a lot of people say that Doctor Strange never managed to obtain an ongoing series for a long period of time but even if that were true he still had some stellar artists.


From Steve Ditko to Gene Colan, Frank Brunner, Marshall Rogers, P. Craig Russell, Butch Guice etc. While volume 7 has most of Tom Suttons work for Doctor Strange with the What If ? issue in volume 8 both volumes contain some issues penciled by other great artists like Jim Starlin or Gene Colan.


Today there are also not a lot of celebrity birthdays for which I have a video except for Robi, personal friend and mentor as well as the hardest working man in german comics who turns 58. Longtime readers of the blog know that I have been pimping his series Horst, Alraune or Luna forever not only because of the personal connection but because they are the best german comics you can find. But even before I knew him as a comic creator I watched him every week on the RTL cult show Catch Up ! which was problematic because at that time I was doing my military service and unlike Tutti Frutti which was on Sunday Catch Up ! was on late at night on Monday. Which meant that if I watched it I did not get much sleep and Tuesday the morning drill was very hard. I still watched it every time.



Our next video is also tied to a birthday although Eric Roberts´ 62nd anniversary will be in two days. But a few days ago I found Ambulance which is one of my favorite movies with him and I think it fits the feel of the post just perfect. Besides James Earl Jones the movie also stars the wonderful Janine Turner with whom we all fell in love with as sassy and sexy pilot Maggie O´Connel on Northern Exposure. She plays Cheryl which makes it understandable that Eric Roberts spends half the movie looking for her. The film is also interesting for comic fans since Stan Lee has his very first movie role in it playing himself. Eric Roberts is a comic artist and you see the Marvel Comics offices with a lot of iconic artwork everywhere even if I´m not so sure about the Doctor Strong character. According to imdb we also get to see Gene Colan, Larry Hama and Jim Salicrup here.



Another lucky find is Señorita Cometa, a series I was not familiar with so I had to do some research here. It´s based on the manga Cosmic Baton Girl Kometto - san and was produced from 1967 to 1968. The show was also translated to spanish and aired in Venezuela, Costa Rica, Panama and Mexico. It was extremely popular in Mexico - even more than in its native country Japan - where it was on tv uninterrupted from 1975 to 1985. For many mexicans these were the first images of japanese anime they saw.



Since Señorita Cometa only has a bit of animation at the beginning I wanted to add another cartoon related video and even though there is some music in our last video I chose adding the best of both worlds.



As it couldn´t be any other way we end the post with Not A Creature Was Stirring, a Don McGregor penned story from Creepy magazine issue 59.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best


That´s just Prime.

No comments: