Tuesday, May 03, 2016

More DC art by Gil Kane - and a few others

As promised here are a more DC covers by the great Gil Kane. Because I didn´t want to do another covers only post I also started looking for some of the interior art and - as usual - I found that much material that this will probably have to be split up into two posts. We´ll see how far we´ll come.


It´s been a while since my last post and I spent the time with going over some of my old posts, preparing stuff for new posts and health problems.

On Sunday I was so tired from lack of sleep that I slept almost the whole day and Today before going to bed I made the mistake of eating a tuna sandwich before going to bed so I spent most of the day on the crapper, in my bed with stomach cramps or sneezing since I seem to be also nursing a cold. At the moment I feel a little better because I drank to cups of tea but while my stomach feels a little better my nose is still doing it´s best impression of a fountain and I go through handkerchiefs like wildfire. I haven´t eaten anything Today but at least I get to lose some weight this way. I have already lost a few pounds as I´m starting to loose my pants which were very tight. So with my nose running and a slight headache I´m trying to finish this post while the internet seems to get slower and even slower and my laptop keeps nagging me about doing a re - start now.

For this post I have selected a few DC covers from Gil Kane from the period I´m more familiar with so there will be no classic DC stuff and there will also be no GREEN LANTERN covers since I have decided to give them a post of their own. There were also a few strange and weird covers of series I didn´t know he had worked on ( like the CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN cover above for which I could not find any interior art ) but I kept most of them for a different post with all of Gil Kane´s WTF covers.


So let´s get going. DC COMICS PRESENTS 62 has Superman teaming up with the Freedom Fighters and the art is by Irv Novik and Dave Hunt.


Sadly I could only find this small part of a page from the issue.


Another great cover by Gil Kane for SUPERMAN 390 guest starring Sean Connery . . . I mean Superman´s best pal, Vartox. Is it just me or do people kick the bucket more than usual every time he´s around ? 


This kicks off a three part story by Cary Bates, Elliot S Maggin, Curt Swan and Dave Hunt and you can find some more interior pages at Deejay Dayton´s BABBLING ABOUT DC COMICS website. By the way, the blog has moved so if you want to read the newest entries using the following link.


Speaking about Deejay Dayton´s BABBLING ABOUT DC COMICS, he also has some interior pages from BATMAN 382 guest - starring Catwoman.


The story is by Steve Mitchell with art by Rich Hoberg and Rudy Nebres.


Sometimes Gil Kane only did one cover of a series like THE FURY OF FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MAN 30. The interior art was mostly done by Rafael Kayanan. I didn´t find any pages from issue 30 but you can sample some of his art from issue 26 and 27 on THE WATER AND FIRE podcast.


Fun fact : it was in this series that Firestorm first encountered Felicity Smoak from ARROW, behaving like a giant dick. COMIC BOOK RESOURCES has a whole post about the first appearances of the supporting cast where you can read all about how Firestorm ruined Felicity´s life - repeatedly.


A DC series Gil Kane did a few covers for is the first CHECKMATE series.


This and the following incarnations of the book have been on my reading list for quite some time and who knows, now that DC has as good as openly declared intellectual bankruptcy I might even get to read it.


CHECKMATE 17 written by Paul Kupperberg was part 5 of THE JANUS DIRECTIVE which crossed over with SUICIDE SQUAD and MARTIAN MANHUNTER. The art was done by Steve Erwin and Al Vey and while I couldn´t find art from the issue Siskoid from YOUR DAILY SPLASH PAGE has the splash page from issue 21 also done by Steve Erwin and Al Vey.


Gil Kane also did more than one cover for the WONDER WOMAN comic.


Here is the splash page for issue 314 by Dan Misking and Don Heck and you can see more interior pages at BABBLING ABOUT DC COMICS. Again.


Somehow when I think of Don Heck I always think about his Marvel work on AVENGERS or IRON MAN and totally blank on the fact that he also worked on DC´s FLASH, TEEN TITANS and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.


And I want to end the first part of this with THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY which I remember reading in Ehapa´s SUPERBOY reprints.


I couldn´t find any full pages from the issue but SISKOID`S BLOG OF GEEKERY has some interior art by Alex Saviuk and Kurt Schaffenberger.

The story with Sunburst went on for a few issues but I don´t remember if I ever got to read the big finale. We didn´t always get consecutive issues.


So in this post we have all the series where Gil Kane DIDN`T do any interiors and in the next post we will have beaucoup de Gil Kane art. As usual there are a few websites and links I have to mention which I could not fit into the post. I didn´t find any art from CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN for which Gil Kane did the cover but JAMES THE SHERMAN has a nice collection of original art from the series and the SECRET ORIGINS PODCAST talks about CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN and FURY in their 12th episode. Pat Broderick was the main cover artist for THE FURY OF FIRESTORM and FIRESTORM FAN has posts on him revisiting the covers for issue 1, 4 and 7 that include the original covers and the new inks.


So we will continue this topic soon but not in our next post because even if that post would be a Gil Kane post it would probably be a Marvel post.


We start Today´s birthdays with the Queen of Body Doudles, Shelley Michelle who turns 54 Today. Shelley became famous as the body double for Barbara Streisand in The Prince Of The Tides, Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman ( she sure needed it ) and Kim Basinger in My Stepmother Is An Alien although I don´t know if Kim really had need of Shelley´s services.


Shelley also was in a few movies as an actress like Bikini Summer where she co starred with a few playmates. If you like " playmates go to the beach and take their bikinis off " movies it is a good and entertaining movie but sadly the trailer is not safe for work so I can´t post it here.

Also celebrating her 54th anniversary is Jennifer Rubin, who debuted in Nightmare on Elm Street 3 : Dream Warriors, the first movie from the franchise I saw in a movie theater ( yep, I´m really an old fart ). I remember watching it in a really tiny theater with a very small screen but after 15 minutes I was so enthralled by the movie I completely forgot about it. You can find a lengthy analysis of the movie on RIVERS OF GRUE.


In the movie Jennifer Rubin appeared with the mother of all mohawks.


Horror fans may have seen her on tv shows like The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt and tv movies like Twists of Terror where she showed some skin. She appeared naked in The Wasp Woman, Saints and Sinners, Stranger by Night, Bitter Harvest and A Woman, Her Men And Her Futon.

One year older is Eddie Murphy and since I couldn´t find One Night Only and all my bookmarked music videos have been erased here is Beverly Hills Cop which was still the best before they screwed up the formula.



Alec Baldwin turns 58 Today and while you probably expected me to post a video from his comic related movie The Shadow I´ve got something even better : his appearance on the show El Hormiguero promoting Torrente 5



Our next birthday is Hollywood legend Doris Day who celebrates her 92nd year. She appeared in a plethora of movies but my favorite is Pillow Talk.


Doris really was a great actress because she pulled off the shy and quiet wholesome housewife / Mom when she had the hot body of a playmate.


If you haven´t seen the movie check out MAKING NICE IN THE MIDWEST´s entry on Pillow Talk and Kimberly Truhler at GLAM AMOR takes a look at Doris Day´s stunning outfits in that movie in The Style Essentials - Doris Day makes a Statement in Jean Louis for 1959´s PILLOW TALK .



Today would have also been Marlon Brando´s birthday who was in the good Superman movies. Since I already posted the Making Of of the Richard Donner movie here´s a little video showcasing Superman´s more weird and strange powers from the comic which they thankfully didn´t use.



My last cartoon video was in french so to make up for it here is The Yellow Mark from Blake and Mortimer. You can find a lot of other videos of this on YouTube and I would be appalled if this is news to Terry Hooper.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best

1 comment:

Terry Hooper-Scharf said...

Doris Day "Move Over Darling" -straight into the UK charts at No. 1 oh those many years ago. And for a lot of women her pseudo lesbian (as a feminist described it) portrayal of Calamity Jane (1953? or 1954?. She wore some great 1960s outfits -similar outfits turned up on no less than the Wasp in Avengers back in the day!
I have the complete Blake and Mortimer dvd set. Okay if you get bored but I just couldn't get into them!!!
And congratulations on losing some weight -it ain't easy- but worth sticking with. Go vegetarian man. Cut out full fat cheese. THOSE are big challenges. Or go to You Tube and check out Adam Woo on The Daily Woo because he is now dieting and I love watching Americans diet. They whine so nicely.