Friday, September 23, 2016

Paul Ryan Flash Friday : Cause and Effect

It´s like I planned this. Today would have been Paul Ryan´s 67th birthday and it´s a Friday which means we have to postpone the next chapter of Race Against Time to bring you the next chapter of Paul Ryan´s FLASH run.


It´s still hard to compute that he´s really gone but I hope these FLASH FRIDAY post have helped you to remember all the great work he did. He will always be remembered for his epic FANTASTIC FOUR run that started out slow, became really glorious in the middle and petered out just a little bit at the end. Still it was solid throughout and during a time when comics were not so great his Fantastic Four were like they were supposed to be. And that new redesigned costume for Susan Richards didn´t hurt either.


These posts are also my chance to pay homage to MY Flash, Wally West who is still absent from the DC universe although with the horrible way they handled other classic DC books like TEEN TITANS I don´t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. And these posts may also help some of my readers to survive until season three of THE FLASH which airs in October.

Now because of various reasons the last post from Paul Ryan´s FLASH run was more than a month ago so you might want to go back and re - read that and if you want to read my other Paul Ryan posts just use the label at the bottom of this post. Wisely enough I decided to wrap up the current story before continuing with other Flash issues so you don´t really need to go back as issue 125 is the first part of a two part story in which the Flash goes up against Major Disaster. This is after UNDERWORLD so Major Disaster´s powers have been amped up to the point where he can cause major disasters - hence the name - by doing little things kind of like in the Final Destination movies. What scientists like to call cause and effect. 


With these FLASH FRIDAY posts there are almost never any links to add so we can go right on to the celebrity birthdays with Anthony Mackie who turns 38 and who plays Sam Wilson a.k.a. The Falcon in the Marvel movies.


Originally I wanted to add his epic lip synch battle ( I´m not going to spoil it by telling you as who since that is half of the fun. People who have seen it know what I´m talking about. ) but since I couldn´t find that here´s a review of Captain America : Civil War for my german readers.



You either know Jamie Bergman from her sizzling pictorials as Playmate Of The Month January 1999, her role of lifeguard B J Cummings on the tv show Son Of The Beach or her parts in movies like Daybreak or Any Given Sunday. In any case she´s celebrating her 41st birthday with her husband David Boreanaz. Can you believe this guy ? He´s on his third hit show now after Buffy and Angel AND married to a playmate. THAT`S how you do it ! 


Speaking about the one that got away, Jermaine Dupri turns 44 and while he cited that he didn´t want to be referred to as just Janet Jackson´s boyfriend as one of the reasons why they split up now he will be always remembered as the guy who let a first grade babe like Janet Jackson slip away. And before you think like me that now you have chances with Janet I have to inform you that she got married in 2012. Yup, that was news to me too but we´ll always have such great videos like Gotta Getcha. And Jermaine, this is what you´ll never Getcha again so take one last look.


Chi McBride celebrates his 55th birthday whom I have last seen on Hawaii Five O and we´re so far behind with episodes in Germany that I don´t know if his character is still on the show or even if it still airs. On a comic related note he also is in Human Target and you might recognize his voice as the black Nick Fury ( I´m old so I make that distinction ) from Avengers Assemble, Hulk And The Agents Of S.M.A.S.H or Ultimate Spider - Man.



We stay with tv entertainment as Jason Alexander turns who was the voice of Catbert but is best knwon for his role of George Costanza on Seinfeld alongside Jerry Seinfeld and the very underrated sexbomb Julia Louis - Dreyfus. She´s currently on Veep and I still haven´t watched this year´s Emmy Awards ( shocking, I know ) but in the clips I have seen the show got some awards. I´ll have to order some of the seasons very soon.


I would have liked to do a post on Peter David´s 60th birthday but Paul Ryan´s anniversary was just more important - plus I already had all the necessary material. If I´m not bummed out too much by making all these posts ( we´ll see if I managed to do a post on Bob Layton´s birthday this Sunday ) maybe I can do another THIS MAN THIS MONSTER post about his HULK run. Since none of Dale Keown´s HULK issues are reprinted in any of the upcoming Epic Collections I ordered all the Hulk Visionaries : Peter David trades by Dale Keown I could get and boy did Dale Keown´s career suffer from his PITT book. That guy was born to draw Hulk but now he´s mostly doing covers. Anyway, Peter David has had great runs on books whenever he could get past his own ego and one series I still haven´t dipped my toe in - besides what came out in the 90s - is his X - FACTOR.


We start our Dearly Departed section with Mickey Rooney who was in Night At The Museum : Secret Of The Tomb which I saw just a few weeks ago. As somebody who did acting, singing and dancing he was forever in those old black and white movies alongside the great Judy Garland.


I also want to pay homage to Michelle Thomas who played the biggest Steve Urkel fan in the world, Myrna Monkhouse on Family Matters. The producers of that show sure wished they would have had a cristal ball to predict the future because Michelle really boobed out on that show so it became very unrealistic that Steve was still pining for Laura when there was this hot girl with a body to die for who even genuinely liked him.


Heck, even Laura´s best friend Maxine played by Cherie Johnson was hotter than Laura so it was totally unrealistic that he would be interested in this boring looking, snobbish girl who always was dismissive to him and seemed to hate his guts. For a show that´s so popular there are not a lot of good clips on YouTube but here´s one I found which clearly shows why Steve should have gelled more with Myra and just ignored Laura Wilson.



The last anniversary I want to mention is of Santo, El enmascarado de plata, wrestling mystery man of countless mexican feature films where he fights anything from monsters to martians to bumbling comedy stars.


Since I have already posted a few of El Santo´s movies - and you can find them without any trouble - here´s an episode from his Cartoon Network series. Just ask Spider - Man how much trouble those clones can be.



I can´t put up videos for all the celebrity birthdays so shout outs also go to Bruce Springsteen ( 67 ), John Woo ( 70 ), Julio Iglesias ( 73 ), Ray Charles and Romy Schneider. Now usually I try to avoid spoilers but the reason why I´m posting the new trailer for the next season of The Flash is that I have seen it a dozen times already and I´m super hyped. So there is still time to binge watch the first two seasons until the next one starts.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best

No comments: