Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Way back Wednesday : ZACK ! to the future

Originally I wanted to do the birthday posts for Bart Sears and Mark Texeira on Monday but as usual Avira Antivirus slowed things down so much that I have to do it on different days now. And since I don´t like to have two similar posts back to back I wanted to do a different one in - between.


It´s not that often that I get to do posts about german comics so when I came across all the covers from the ZACK COMIC BOX specials during the research for one of my last posts I thought to myself it would be a real shame to put them in a folder and not to share these with my readers.

I have written about ZACK ! a few times in the past but for those who never heard of it it was a german comic magazine that translated mostly franco belgian bande dessinee - which is the french word for comic books - and included several different series. Nowadays there are not many of these anthology type series that have short chapters of longer comics.

While you had to wait for the next issue to read another chapter of your favorite series the upside of this format that you would get several genres in an issue : western, adventure, pirates, humor, race cars or jet planes. 


So while I did read and love super hero comics from DC and Marvel I also read a lot of french / european comics growing up which may have been one of the reasons why I never stuck to one particular comic book genre.

For people from my generation it was just normal to read comics more based on quality than on genre or format. And when I say format I mean size. I know that there are people who just read comic books that fall into a certain format but when I was reading ZACK ! there were not that many issues coming out so you grabbed every magazine, album or pocket book. 


Now the covers in this post are all from ZACK COMIC BOX which reprinted all the chapters that made up one album that were previously published in ZACK magazine. Like I said it covered a lot of different genres and one of the biggest was western comics. One series I still remember is UMPAH - PAH because it was so popular that the first album was reprinted twice ( issue 2 and 41 ) and the second one three times ( issue 10, 33 and 42 ).


ZACK ! magazine returned to the stands in 1999 but I´m not sure if a series like UMPAH - PAH would still fly in Today´s political correct SJW / diversity over everything all times without turning the main character into a woman. Anyway, here´s some comic nostalgia for my german readers.


This post is what I thought Yesterday´s post would be : a rather quick done in one art - centric post, mainly because I don´t have access to my usual internet sources for the popular birthday / pop culture tidbits section. There are however those I covered in previous years but again I have not written that many posts on this date or the days preceding it.

So we have to deal with a rather short list which still includes a trio of the hottest cult sirens to ever grace this blog. We are off to a good start with somebody I have not mentioned in a while, mega MILF Christina Aguilera a.k.a. XXXtina Aguilera whose 38th birthday was on December the 18th.


Aside from having a great voice Christina also has a booming body which was always popping out of her clothes exposing some great cleavage long before she cranked it up to the max when her twin torpedoes exploded due to her pregnancy. At that time the press changed her nickname from XXXtina Aguilera to XXLtina Aguilera thanks her giant 36E ( !!! ) double airbags which were in everybody´s mouths ( of course only figuratively ).


The whole world was flooded with a veritable plethora of hot pictures of the blonde Busenwunder and I had to do two posts on my old boobblog to fit them all in. It´s a real shame the überinflated cult siren did not use the opportunity to shoot mega hot music videos with her giant - sized melons.



She could have believable played Power Girl and she would not have had a problem filling out the magical boob window with her huge milkshakes.


Christina Aguilera is one of my all time sex phantasies so it may strike some readers as strange that I haven´t done an entry for her in the cult siren hall of fame since she has earned that in spades - not only because of her boner inducing pregnancy boobs - but all of her sexy pictures, music videos and live appearances before this and since. But you have to keep in mind that with a birthday that close to the holiday season - which for me is always extra busy - it may take a while before I can cum to that.


I have to admit I am not up to date with Christina Aguilera. Like so many other it is difficult to keep up now that cult sirens are not such a high priority on the blog. I mean they still appear from time to time in this section but the number of posts where they are the main topic has gone down drastically. That was one bonus when I still had my boobblog : doing the re - posts was a chance for me to look up their most recent talk show appearances. Now with Christina the last thing I became aware of is that she was one of the judges on The Voice ( where she displayed her still awesome 34E boobs in a lot of generous cleavages ) but since this bit is about her I didn´t want to post a video about that or Teens React ( where they never can guess her. It´s weird how they know of her yet don´t recognize her songs ). Instead here is her breast appearance on Ellen



On the same days as Christina Aguilera we have fitness model, Sexbombe and WWF ( for me it will be always the real WWF and not this new WWE crap ) Diva Trish " The Dish " Stratus who celebrated her 43rd birthday.


While Trish Stratus never won any fitness competitions, long before she stepped into the squared circle, a lot of us saw her in MUSCLE & FITNESS.


Trish Stratus ( born Patricia Anne Stratigias on December the 18th 1975 in Richmond Hill, Ontario ) is a former canadian fitness model and semi - retired professional wrestler ( on September 17th, 2006 after winning her 7th Women's Championship ). She´s the first in WWF history to have held the Women's Championship seven times, three more than the four reigns of Lita and the four recognized title reigns of The Fabulous Moolah. She is also one of only four women to have held the Hardcore Championship.


As a fitness model, Stratus has been on the cover of major health and fitness magazines such as MUSCLEMAG, FLARE, and TOTAL WOMEN´S FITNESS. She also released a calendar series called " Dream Team " with fellow model, Stacey Lynn. As a sports entertainer, she was proclaimed the " Diva of the Decade " on the WWF RAW X Anniversary Show . She was voted " WWE Babe of the Year " three times between 2001 and 2003.


Since I have blanked on her birthday for three years in a row now I want to include a few of her best animated GIFs until I can do a proper post.


For more about Trish Stratus check out The Best Of  Trish Stratus ( with more pictures ) on DIVALICIOUS and if that´s still not enough the only place left is ADAM´S WRESTLING BLOG . As for me I´m going to watch some of my favorite Trish Stratus videos to get some Stratusfaction.


Speaking of favorite Trish Stratus videos here is her part from Desert Heat . I have written at length about how almost all of the Diva videos are more Making Ofs then really showing the hot wrestling sexbombs ( with the exception of Divas Undressed since the main part of that was a lingerie competition so they could not f - word that up ) so I won´t bore you with that again but in my opinion the best Trish Stratus videos should not be in the bonus section. At least as long as the WWF expects us to pay for it.



I also had to include a match with Trish Stratus and I picked one where she tag teams with Gail Kim. At least I managed to write two posts about Gail.



Today´s awesome anniversaries start with a cult siren about whom - unlike Christina and Trish - I have done a few posts on and which I often mention in this section. It´s a big one as the " enchanting " Alyssa Milano turns 46.

Sexbomb Alyssa Milano ( who got two entries on this blog, the main post and the bonus round with her best episodes on Charmed ) is of course best known as the most charming, sexiest and all around greatest of all the Halliwell witches, Phoebe Halliwell on the cult tv show Charmed.


According to some interviews she gave later she wasn´t so keen on some of the sexy outfits but Alyssa was the main reason why guys watched the show, it was all to see her shaking her hips as a sultry belly dancer with her tits hanging out or an almost naked mermaid. Also Alyssa was busy taming male co - stars Julian McMahon and Brian Krause as her personal sex slaves.


Before she starred in Charmed Alyssa appeared in an episode of Outer Limits where she didn´t leave much to the imagination thanks to the lower restrictions of the Sci Fi channel. She was well on her way to become a sexsymbol but of course we wanted to see more of her. And male viewers got their wish when Alyssa got her freak on in Embrace of the Vampire where she did her breast performance going full frontal.


I did a re - post of Alyssa Milano´s cult siren entry on her birthday in 2016.

Thankfully some comic creators also have movie or tv credits otherwise I would not have known that Peter B. Gillis celebrates his 65th birthday.

He has written Warp for First Comics which some of my contemporaries still know because it was on of the first titles that heralded the big boom of independent comics in the 80s. He also worked at Marvel Comics where he wrote Eternals ( which will pop up in our next post IF I manage to do the Mark Texeira post next ), Defenders, Doctor Strange, Strange Tales, What If ? and Micronauts : The New Voyages. He is however best known as the writer and co - creator of Strikeforce : Morituri together with Brent Anderson, the artist on the classic graphic novel Uncanny X - Men : God Loves Man Kills and the acclaimed Astro City series writer by Kurt Busiek. 


I have to confess that Strikeforce : Morituri has always been the white whale of my comic book collection because I have never found any back issues at comic conventions or in comic shops. I am not sure if there even are back issues which was extremely frustrating since the series also had never been reprinted. So while I haven´t been able to read a single issue yet I know the general premise which is so good that it almost baffles me that it took so long before being adapted for the broader tv audience.


Which apparently is in the works right now or otherwise Peter B. Gillis´ name would not have popped up on the imdb website. In any case, for those who have never heard of the series this video explains what it was all about and why it was so far ahead of its time. Something that also was the case with our Power Freaks but that is the topic for another post.



A lot of people may not be familiar with Karel Svoboda´s work but for me it was always synonymous with good entertainment as he provided the music for such great cartoon series like Maya The Bee, The Wonderful Journey Of Nils Holgerson With The Wild Geese, The Adventures of Pinocchio and Vicky The Viking ( or Wickie And The Strongmen how it was called in Germany ). There were some stinkers as he did the music for the godawful John Sinclair but the less said about that the better. One of the movies he did write music for is Three Wishes For Cinderella which always airs on tv around Christmas and together with Little Lord Fauntleroy it is one of the movies I can´t get enough of. I watch it every year and one of the reasons why it is so unforgettable and widely beloved in Germany is the hauntingly beautiful music by Karel Svoboda. The story also featured a very emancipated female lead character way before it became trendy.



Speaking of good tv entertainment from my youth, another birthday shoutout to the great beyond goes to Rudi Carrell whose Am Laufenden Band was THE biggest Saturday night tv show in Germany during the 70s.



As the holidays are rapidly approaching I am starting to churn out the Christmas videos and here is one for my readers outside of Germany.



Comic book movies and tv series are becoming more and more popular and I guess there will be a lot of of them under the Christmas tree this year. I mean in some cases like Riverdale or Preacher most people are not even aware that they are watching comic book adaptions. In any case, with the way the last Marvel films turned out ( let´s hope New Mutants doesn´t share this fate ) I wish this would be in movie theaters right now. It´s all we need instead of the Spiderverse train wreck ( I´m only guessing but from what I have seen so far they omitted Spider - Girl of all things which would have been the only character able to redeem the whole thing ).



Coming back to good animation here is another shoutout to Karel Svoboda. Like in a lot of stories for children from that time the main character Nils Holgersson starts out as a very unlikable chap and evolves into a person with more empathy and compassion as he goes along.



Our final music video is a Christmas Special with Johnny Cash from 1977 that also features Carl Perkins, Roy Clark, Jerry Lee Lewis and Roy Orbison.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best


Ave, Cesar, morituri the salutant.

No comments: