Friday, October 09, 2026

Friday Fight Night : Matt Wagner's Demon !

Regular blog followers know that lately I don't do a lot of comicbook creator birthday posts because of the big backlog of unfinished posts I still have ahead of me. On top of that I had announced that this month I would be concentrating on continuing work on all of my still unfinished horror / Halloween posts so there might be no new posts this month. But as regular blog visitors also know things seldomly work out as planned as apparent by the new Mike Kaluta spotlight I have been working on all week. So when I saw that Today is Matt Wagner's 65th birthday I decided to take a break and do something new. But how we ended up with a post about his work on DC Comics demon, well we have to talk about that.


For those visitors who are new to the blog I started writing posts about Matt Wagner during the pandemic as he was one of the few artists which I follow on facebook and his daily quarantine gallery art posts were one of the few things that made that time bearable. And I wanted to spread the good word and give props at the same time. So far I have written two of these posts as well as one about his various series of ZORRO and the fourth one - which was the first one I wrote on his actual birthday - which was a DC Comics spotlight with characters from that publisher.


Today I was planning to do something similar but since we are in the month of SCHOCKTOBER and our last post was about the I ... VAMPIRE issues of HOUSE OF MYSTERY I wanted to continue that vibe with some DC Comics characters that go into the realm of horror / magic / mystery and anything creepy. But when I finally had the obligatory 23 pieces of art for this post I realized that they went more into the superhero genre and more into the Justice Society of America. Now I don't have anything against the Justice Society of America - quite contrary since their roster includes DC Comics Maid of the Mighty Mammaries Power Girl - but that doesn't really scream horror to me. So it was time to switch gears here.


Amongst the DC Comics characters I had selected for the post there was the demon Etrigan created by Jack Kirby - about whom I made a post way back in 2021 for those who want to know more about the demon - and I recalled that among the few comics Matt Wagner did for DC Comics was a THE DEMON four issue mini series so I decided to make a spotlight about that and issue 22 from the ongoing THE DEMON series written by Alan Grant with artwork by Val Semeicks which I also decided to include.

rise the demon etrigan

No comments: