Wednesday, September 21, 2016

By George ! The Brave And The Bold - 2

With the last few posts there has been a lot more Marvel content than DC so to make up for that a little I want to continue with Mark Waid´s and George Perez´ great run on the resurrected THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD.


Lately it seems I can´t find the time to post more regularly and even the posts I manage to do take forever to finish ( like the Elvira birthday post which I´m still working on ) and the only valid excuse for not posting this sooner is that I hope the quality of the posts make up for that. Speaking of that like always I´m including all the original artwork pages I could find to give this post the extra ooomph you have come to expect from me.


Now you might go back to the first issue - which I posted way back at the first of August, yeesh - to refresh your memory or read my encapsulation of what the series was all about. Because I don´t want to bore my readers with endless repetition. In this issue we have Green Lanter and Supergirl team up which leads to some friction because Hal Jordan is just so full of himself and thinks he´s god´s gift to women and Supergirl is just being Supergirl. I have mentioned once or twice that the first twelve issues of DARING NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL by Paul Kupperberg and Carmine Infantino have finally been released as a trade and while I wasn´t always a big fan of Carmine Infantino´s art I saw some of the issues online ( I will put up links below ) and I can not wait to read them in printed form.


Much more than any post crisis incarnation which - to be blunt - have all been annoying and very disappointing. My brother used to read one of the newer series and there was a point where things got almost interesting but after two issues they returned everything to the status quo. And don´t get me started on the Peter David Supergirl - as - an earth - angel crap where he expected readers to wait fifty issues before the big payoff.


Anyway, ever after CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS DC had no clue what to do with Supergirl which is also apparent in this series. Thankfully Mark Waid is a competent enough writer so that you can still enjoy Supergirl despite her obvious lack of any kind of personality and she´s not that annoying.


And like promised you can read Paul Kupperberg´s and Carmine Infantino´s Supergirl series at SUPERGIRL : THE MAIDEN OF STEEL. To facilitate the navigation here are the links for issue 1 , issue 2 , issue 3 , issue 4 , issue 5 , issue 6 , issue 7 , issue 8 , issue 9 , issue 10 , issue 11 , issue 12 , issue 13 , issue 14 , issue 15 , issue 16 , issue 17 , issue 18 , issue 19 , issue 20 , issue 21 ( the art in this one was done by Eduardo Baretto and as a kid the german issue of SUPERMAN BATMAN that contained the issue was one of my prized possessions, Eduardo drew one damn fine Supergirl ! ) ,


issue 22 and issue 23 . I originally bookmarked them for another Gil Kane post as he did most of the covers on that series but there´s no time like the present. And for those who only know Supergirl from the cartoons, the  movie ( how many remember that movie ? ) or the tv show MAJOR SPOILERS has the complete hero history of Supergirl in the comics.

We start Today´s birthdays with Rob Morrow who turns 54. His last big tv show was Numbers which ran 6 seasons but he´ll always be remembered as Dr. Joel Fleischman from Northern Exposure which according to critic John Leonard is the best of the best television in the last 10 years. And I couldn´t agree more, not only because it co stars the lovely Janine Turner.


I´m constantly pimping Northern Exposure ( or like it is called in Germany Alaska Of All Things probably because of the alliteration in the german language ) because as one reviewer in Germany phrased it german tv is waging war against this series. They made it virtually impossible to watch the show by sticking it into time slots when the audience is almost zero and they even changed that nonstop. After decades the complete show is finally available on DVD in german - although most people who buy these so far are the few ones to managed to see one of the elusive episodes.

Currently available in german are season one for 20 Euro and the complete series in a wooden box set for 135 Euros with a lot of extras. There is also an UK edition for 69 Euros but it only has the english language which does not work for me since I am used to hear the actors with german voices. There is however a regular edition of the complete series scheduled for the 7th of October which will cost around 100 Euros so save your nickels for that. Now who says you never get important information here ?   

Bill Murray celebrates his 66th birthday who - after the sobering failure of Ghostbusters II - has always lobbied against another sequel except if they have a really good script. The current reboot of the movie seems to prove him right. There are a lot of videos about that out there but I picked one that is impartial and actually tells you why the new movie doesn´t work. 



You know, I used to read all books of Stephen King as a teenager but the man has such a staggering output that it is impossible to keep up with all the books, tv series and movies. He turns 69 and I have to admit that I have fallen behind on the Dark Tower comic books, mainly because they switched from the hardcover format to trades only. I could write an entire post about those only right now I don´t have that much material for it.


I´m not sure if his newer series like Under The Dome really interest me but I have probably seen most of the movie adaptions and while they are of varying success even the worst of them have some redeeming quality.


Today would also have been the 85th birthday of Larry Hagman best known for his role of J. R. Ewing on Dallas which featured just a plethora of hot babes like Stacy Sanchez, Michelle Johnson, Priscilla Presley, Coleen Camp, Charlene Tilton, Deborah Shelton, Morgan Fairchild, Barbara Carrera, Tracy Scoggins, Claudia Christian, Lesley Anne - Down, Victoria Principal, the aforementioned Janine Turner or Audrey Landers who together with her sister Judy Landers was one of the hottest commodities of that time.


The show also reunited Larry Hagman with Barbara Eden, his co star from I Dream Of Jeannie for five episodes but since I already posted an episode from that show here´s another episode of Family Feud where the cast of Dallas faces off against the cast of Eight Is Enough which is a television series I´m not familiar with since it was never shown in Germany.



A shoutout also goes to Chuck Jones best known for his work on Looney Toones, Tom And Jerry and Who Framed Roger Rabbitt ? whose female protagonist Jessica Rabbit was surely influenced by Tex Avery´s Red. 


Originally I wanted to post one of the shorts for the US government or one of his cartoons to honor Chuck Jones I selected a documentary that has plenty of examples that show what was so special about his animations.



Speaking about televison entertainment from my youth Today is also the anniversary of Vico Torriani´s birth and I may loose some serious coolness points for this but I know all of his great Schlager hits like Kalkutta liegt am Ganges, Cafe Oriental, Capri Fischer, Zwei Spuren im Schnee, the now highly political incorrect Du schwarzer Zigeuner ( pfui ! ) or La Montanara.



Closing Todays celebrity birthdays is novelist H. G. Wells who is the inspiration for all time travel stories. You probably expected me to put another Doctor Who video here but there is a now tv show based on the 1979 movie Time After Time with Malcolm McDowell in which H. G. Wells has to hunt down Jack The Ripper who has escaped into the 20th century.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best

No comments: