Saturday, May 04, 2019

Kicking it old school on STAR WARS Day !

Initially I hadn´t planned on making a post Today since Tomorrow is Adam Hughes birthday and I will not finish this post until then. But since it is not only STAR WARS DAY but also FREE COMIC BOOK DAY in America I decided, what the heck, why not give the STAR WARS comic newbies a little taste of what they are missing out if they only read the new comics.


Now I am not trying the new comics by Disney or the one that came out from Dark Horse. Though I have not read a lot of the new Disney series I did read a few of the TRUE BELIEVERS issues and they were pretty solid.

And while I have not read ALL of the Dark Horse STAR WARS books ( which probably only the diehard STAR WARS fans did ) there were a few series I thoroughly enjoyed. No, it´s just that - and longtime readers can attest that - the original STAR WARS series by Marvel Comics will always have a special place in my heart. Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it since KRIEG DER STERNE was the first comic book I read in german that continued adventures which started in a movie. Another factor may be that a lot of the creative people that were involved in that series like Al Williamson ( whom I just mentioned in one of my latest posts ), Howard Chaykin, Walter Simonson, Tom Palmer, Ron Frenz, Frank Miller or Carmine Infantino ( who drew the bulk of the issues ) are people whose work I still enjoy and seek out. Speaking of Carmine Infantino, I have only one page of his original art in this post but not because I don´t appreciate it but because I have so much that I will have to do a solo Carmine Infantino STAR WARS post somewhere down the line. Probably when the section with the birthdays in this post gets too long and I make a spin - off post.


I wish I could give you some life altering wisdom garnered from the STAR WARS Marvel Comics but the truth is that while I have managed to get all three omnibus books I still haven´t found the time to read them. Despite that I still want to pimp them because as I said the art and writing is top notch and you can easily find them at a discount at amazon. So the usual hefty price should be no deterrent to obtaining them. So strap in for an adventure in a galaxy far, far away and don´t mind the giant, talking green rabbit with the ray guns. One last thing before we come to the original art I selected for this post ( and which this time was found almost exclusively on ComicArtFans ) you might notice that there are two different kinds of color pages and the reason for that is that I prefer to post the coloring of the original comics over the new coloring. I won´t get into the reasons for that here ( we can do a separate post on that if there is enough readers interest ) but the pages with the original coloring are all from a french website that is all about STAR WARS and I will put some links that I used for this post in the usual link section. And now let´s get some great art, have a nice FREE COMIC BOOK DAY but above all May the 4th be with you ! 


It´s almost two weeks since I started this post so it´s time to wrap things up. I was holding off because I hoped I would find a movie I could include but if it hasn´t happened yet it either won´t happen at all or - what is more likely - it will happen after I have finished this post and when I am writing the next one. Or better three posts after this since I have already done the next two posts ( although one of them is also not finished yet ).

In any case, we have a few links to take care of before we come to the very extensive long pop culture section due to the long intervals between posts lately. And this posts´s pop culture section would have been even longer if I wouldn´t have had the opportunity to put some of the celebrity birthdays into my next posts. Starting with the links is my last STAR WARS DAY post which those who have missed it might want to check out from more STAR WARS art and the french website STAR WARS HOLOCHRON.


It´s a website all about the Star Wars comicbooks which I have posted before but I wanted to include it here for those who have not perused their extensive archive where I found - among others - the color pages from issue 38 , issue 46 , issue 53 and issue 85 of Marvel Comics´ original Star Wars comic. You can find more original covers at MARVEL COMICS OF THE 1980s like Walt Simonson´s covers for issue 52 , issue 53 and issue 60 or Tom Palmer´s covers for issue 76 , issue 81 , issue 87 and issue 100 and THE DORK REVIEW has Frank Miller´s cover for issue 47. Kudos al always !


As I mentioned we have a backlog of celebrity birthdays and it is kind of fitting that our first is on April the 18th when Chloe Bennet turned 27 since she is best known for her role of Skye / Daisy on Marvel´s Agents of S. H. I. E. L. D. Chloe is undeniably grade - a future wife material as you first fall in love with her character, then you begin to realize her hotness and it´s as early as episode three of the first season where she becomes this ultimate woman where you go : " Bathe her and bring her to me. She will make a wife AND a mistress and I think I will tame this one myself. "


Now you might think this is once again my obsession with asian women at work but that´s not it since I thought she was hot long before I found out that she is half chinese. She also is very funny which makes her my kind of dream girl although I don´t know if she´s into guys who are twice her age.


Of course Chloe is neither the only hot woman on that show nor the only hot asian woman and I would gladly put another video with Ming - Na Wen on the blog but since it is Chloe´s birthday I am including one with Chloe and Clark Gregg. As for the tv show I finished season 4 but fell off with season 5. There was a marathon with season 5 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a few months but I missed the first episode and only saw the first part which I think had the first half of the season. They continued with the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. marathon the next day but I had some important life stuff to do. I know they finished season 6 and there is another season in the works but right now I haven´t the necessary time to catch up.



Speaking of Marvel´s tv shows, David Tennant celebrated his 48th birtday and he played Zebediah Killgrave a.k.a. the Purple Man on Jessica Jones.

That is another show where I am one season behind as I have only seen the first season. Of course David Tennant is best known as the Tenth Doctor - or just Ten - since he played the part the longest in New Who. Thank God I am all caught up on that show and with all the other shows I am juggling I am kind of glad that it´s on hiatus right now. I have to say I may be one of the few who thin that Jodie Whittaker did a decent job as the first female Doctor ( at least the first female Doctor who - pun intended - is canon ) and I don´t think she ruined the franchise forever.



One good thing that has come of this is that a lot of people are taking a look back on Peter Capaldi´s tenure as the timelord and realize how underrated and underappreciated he was. As some of my readers may know I have become a big fan of reaction videos for tv shows because I get the chance to do what I can´t with my brothers - experience the glory that is Doctor Who with somebody who is relatively new to it - and one channel that I am following has just wrapped up the last episodes with Clara and I´m loving it. I can´t wait to see her reaction to the next season, the next companion but most of all Peter Capaldi´s grand finale.



We are staying with cult tv shows as out next stop brings us to April the 23rd when Lee Majors turned 80. While he´s not as prolific on tv as he used to be and only does the occassional guest appearance on shows like Human Target and the likes he is still very popular because of his roles as Steve Austin on The Six Million Dollar Man and Colt Seavers on The Fall Guy. Some people may even remember him from Raven. As longtime readers know I watched The Fall Guy religiously so I have to mention him.



Although to tell the truth a big part of that show´s appeal for me as a growing teenager were sexbombs like Heather Thomas and Markie Post who didn´t appear nearly as often in a bikini as I would have liked.


Well, Heather Thomas did since that was her main purpose on the show but Markie Post´s appearances in bikinis on The Fall Guy were very few .


Heather played stunt body double ( and what a body it was ) Jody and her job was to keep the male viewers hooked by providing eye candy. She was in all episodes except for an episode in the first season. Yes, fan service is not as new as some people might want you to think and Heather Thomas mainly got the part because of her absolutely amazing bikini figure. OMG !

 
It took a few episodes before she could strut her stuff but once the tv guys got a taste of Heather it happened more often and the famous blue bikini scene was quickly added to the new intro of the second season.


Thanks to her absolutely stunning 37 ( ! ) - 23 - 32 measurements and the exposure in THE FALL GUY Heather became a famous pin up model with posters in every hormone driven boy's bedroom from that time. She even managed to replace pin up goddess Raquel Welch on the number one spot.


Markie Post played bail bonds contractor Terri Michaels ( who replaced previous bail bonds contractor Samantha Jack played by Jo Ann Pflug ) beginning with Season 2 and at the beginning she played a minor role.


One of the producers must have realized what a waste it is to have somebody like Markie on the cast without letting her " show off what her Mama gave her " like they say Today and the rest is 80s tv history. Markie Post got more involved in the stories where she stole the scene from Heather Thomas as soon as she donned a bikini ( mainly in Season 3 ).


80s Power Girl Markie Post is probably the best known cult siren on the blog because not only have I done many re - posts of her original post .


I also keep mentioning her in other posts and her original post is in the Top Ten Posts widget that appears on every post. Since I have done so many different versions it is not so tragic that I did not do a re - post last year even though I did the last version of her cult siren entry in 2016 .


From cult tv shows it´s back to cult comicbooks on April the 25th the anniversary of Johnny Craig´s birth ( it feels weird calling it a birthday when the person in question is dead. Birthdays are what you celebrate while you live ). Anybody who knows what a big fan I am of EC Comics is probably surprised that I let the chance pass to put more classic comic cult horror on the blog and while I never did any explicit Johnny Craig posts I posted And All Through The House from The Vault Of Horror 35 ( which is one of the stories that was adapted into the movie from 1972 ) in 2015 in preparation for Halloween and Southern Hospitality from The Vault Of Horror issue 19 in a post on William Gaines anniversary in 2017 that also contains George Evans´ Wined - Up from Crime Suspense Stories issue 19


Another topic I have neglected way too long for a blog called TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN is the post - Crisis relaunch of the Man of Tomorrow by John Byrne and I had hoped to rectify that situation on April the 26th which was Kerry Gamill´s 65th birthday. Especially since I finally bought the Superman - The Exile and other stories omnibus hardcover that continues with the reprints where the Man Of Steel trade paperback series left off.

 
I know that Kerry Gamill did a lot of work for Marvel Comics - and you can see some of that work like his brilliant issues of Powerman & Iron Fist in my very first Kerry Gamill birthday post that I wrote last year - but for me he is eternally linked to the new Superman continuum. Looking back from a time where nobody seems to get - or care - what Superman is all about it was like the golden times of Superman history for me. Because it was the time when I got fully immersed in the US comics as every new issue and series seemed to be part of a giant story - which in fact it was. The whole shebang kicked off with John Byrne´s Man of Steel mini series followed by Superman and Action Comics by John Byrne and Adventures of Superman by Marv Wolfman and Jerry Ordway. Then John Byrne left but you had guys like Dan Jurgens and Ron Frenz picking up the slack so in the The Exile omnibus ( which picks up in this interim period of art team changes ) you have a literally Who´s Who of the best comic artists DC had access to with the legendary Curt Swan, George Perez, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Mike Mignola, P. Craig Russell, Brett Breeding and last but not least Kerry Gamill.


From comicbooks we make the jump to cult tv shows and Germany with Formel Eins and the only reason why I´m talking about that show at all is that Ingolf LĆ¼ck had his 61st anniversary who was the best of all the hosts.

Many years before Mtv and VIVA would appear on german screens Formel Eins started which was the worst german music show. But it was the only music show we had then ( if you don´t count Die Deutsche Hitparade which mainly played Schlager music ) so we had to bear the horror of it.


Peter Illmann was the first host and he was kind of a mack daddy although that only evolved over time. Still, he was not the best host. That dubious honor belongs to his replacement, Ingolf LĆ¼ck who innovated the show by turning his introductions of the various musical acts and music videos ( they showed both ) into little sketches. It was only downhill after he left as they got their first female presenter Stefanie TĆ¼cking who was much too tame for this kind of show and she then handed the reigns over to Kai Bƶcking who was completely clueless. I remember that in his first show he had Sabrina Salerno as a guest and she was just too much woman for him.


Sabrina was mostly known for two things ..... well, actually three things : the twins ( obviously ! ), lots of wardrobe malfunctions of the tiniest outfits that were riding up or wet t - shirts and see - through bikinis.


At the time Sabrina Salerno, the cult siren with the obligatory bouncing action was at the height of her popularity in Germany thanks to her worldwide number 1 smash hit Boys Boys Boys ( which was especially popular in those countries that showed the uncensored version of her video where her tiny bikini top could not contain the singing sexbomb´s huge melons ) and various articles in teen publications like Bravo and Popcorn and nude pictorials in adult men´s magazines like Penthouse.


So they had to invite her to Formel Eins which was the music tv for german teenagers. The show was a total train wreck, they always cut the videos because the producer of the show was in Bavaria and they are very catholic and prudish down there. When Sabrina was there as a guest they didn´t play her video and told her she had to do a live performance. Which was obviously more than they bargained for because Sabrina began to shake rattle and roll her boobs up and down like there´s no Tomorrow.


Of course they were appalled but they could not do anything against it. The camera man tried to prevent the worst by doing a lot of close ups and just filming Sabrina´s head but as you can see it didn´t help that much.



Coming back to Formel Eins, while Kai Bƶcking did the most shows with 120 episodes they ultimately had to cancel it because of the upcoming competition of Mtv and VIVA who showed all music video in full and not only one per show. By that time Peter Illmann was no longer on tv although after leaving Formel Eins he did two other music programs, P.I.T. - Peter Illmannns Treff and Peter´s Pop Show which were successful for a while.



We expected great things but after one half assed movie Ingolf LĆ¼ck got relegated to the usual comedy / celebrity nonsense shows that are prevalent on german tv. Germany doesn´t know what to do with talent.



As for Sabrina " Bouncing Action " Salerno, I wrote her first cult siren entry way back in 2014 with annual re - posts in 2015 , 2016 and in 2017 where I always tried to do the ultimate version adding little things here and there.



Staying with the subject of hot women on tv we make our next stop on April the 29th when Jerry Seinfeld turned 65. He is best known - at least amongst people from my generation - for creating the cult show Seinfeld whose cast featured Julia Louis Dreyfus as funny and sexy Elaine Bennet.


Even though it was not shown to the general public in Germany ( they always aired it when most people were asleep ) I managed to catch a few with Elaine´s best scenes. Her sexiness was always downplayed but there were a few episodes where Julia could showcase her breast attributes.


I may have posted the following clip before but this one is of much better quality. The only downside is that with the new tv format parts of the picture get cut off with tv shows that were filmed in the old format and that part somehow magically always involves part of the boobs. But we will get to talk more about this problems when I find the time to tell you more of my unsuccessful ( and possibly doomed from the beginning ) hunt to find a version of Monster´s Ball with Halle Berry´s full uncut sex scene.



Yesterday racktastic redhead Christina Hendricks celebrated her 44th birthday and I haven´t written about her in quite some time. Like with a lot of the other cult sirens in this post I have not seen the tv series where she had her big break through BUT I do have at least the first nine seasons of Mad Men - where she put the boob in boob tube - on my To Watch pile.


It seems that one of the few occassions where I get to write a bit more about these hot women is in my movie casting sections and even then I am so focused on the particular super heroine team I am casting that I forget other possible roles. Like in the case of the aforementioned nubian sex goddess Halle Berry it took me some years ( !!! ) before I remembered that she would be perfect for the role of ultimate blow up sex doll Alex Wilde from Erik Larsen´s Savage Dragon. Heck, he even admitted that he modeled her after Halle so she should be the first choice for that role.


Halle did her erotic dance in Last Boy Scout , teased us in Catwoman and finally delivered in Password : Swordfish but mostly Monster´s Ball .


Longtime readers know that Halle Berry is one of my all time wet sex fantasies so not only does she appear in my Justice League of America movie casting she had even four solo posts . But of course it was only a question of time before I added some new ones so this year I wrote four more : the first one about Halle Berry in her best movies , the second one on Halle Berry´s comic book movies , part three about my dream comic book movie casting with Halle Berry and the unexpected bonus round .


Likewise Christina Hendricks ( whom I cast as Maxima in my very first post about CASTING THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA MOVIE ) would be spot on for Rita Medermade, the redhead with the biggest boobs in the Savage Dragon universe with her gigantic megasized 39H ( !!!!! ) medicine balls.


There are a few interviews with Christina Hendricks I haven´t posted yet and while this one is rather short it has a good quality and Christina´s huge melons almost jump out of her cleavage with every deep breath.



Technically we already have more than enough videos in this post but I thought " What the heck, why not include a few more STAR WARS related ones ? " We start with Harrison Ford who besides the iconic roles of Han Solo and Indiana Jones has starred in so many movies and tv shows over the years that I am still surprised by some of the videos I find on YouTube.



Now while Harrison Ford only has two comicbook connections - Blade Runner which was based on Moebius´ adaption of Dan O´Bannon´s The Long Tomorrow and Cowboys & Aliens - Mark Hamill has done a plethora of voice acting in cartoons with the two most famous ones being part of the DC universe. The first one is of course the Joker in all the animated series and the second one is Flash Rogue the Trickster and he not only lent his voice to the character he also played him in the sadly short lived 90s The Flash tv series and reprised the role in two episodes of the new CW show.



So far we haven´t had a comicbook related video but thankfully Das Phantastische Projekt - the video channel for all things geeky - comes to our rescue with the usual indepth look at volume one of Star Wars Classic.



Even before Carrie Fisher had passed away I had planned to do a special Slave Leia tribute post and since I keep putting that off I was entertaining the thought of adding a Slave Leia cosplay video. But then I remembered that there is the Faerie Tale Theater adaption of Thumbelina with her.



We close things out with a longer cartoon video than usual since I could not decide on which movie to include. It´s another Star Wars related thing I never knew existed. I mean, I knew that there was a Star Wars : Droids comicbook and I may have seen some episodes of the cartoon but I had no idea they made full fledged movies like The Pirates and the Prince.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best


These are not the droids you are looking for.

No comments: