Thursday, October 03, 2019

Turban Boobs Thursday with Richard Corben

The advantage of making these spin - off posts is that I can include as much material about a particular artist as I want. Today´s featured artist is Richard Corben who celebrated his 79th birthday just two days ago and while I don´t have enough material prepared to rival last year´s Richard Corben appreciation post there are a few pages I want to put on the blog.


He is an artist I used to follow religiously which back when I first saw his artwork was pretty easy because he didn´t make as much stuff. Or maybe it just seemed that way because I was still mostly sticking to german stuff since I could not read english and there was not much being translated.


In any case my older brother was more the one who collected his stuff so I only kind of inherited him. Lately he does a lot of mini series which is one of the reasons why I still haven´t read his latest ones. Because based on the sorry state of the american comic book industry now I have become one of the readers who prefers to wait for the trade - or better yet the hardcover since Richard Corben´s stuff looks so much better in a nice hardcover book - and sometimes I just wait and wait until I buy them.


So far I have written various posts about Richard Corben over the years, starting in March of 2009 when I pimped the Haunt of Horror hardcover that was at a bargain price at amazon. I also did a special post about Hellboy in Mexico with a lot of stuff about lucha libre - the mexican version of wrestling - and another Hellboy comic by Richard Corben, The Crooked Man was part of a post with some reading tips for Halloween .


His version of The Raven was in a double feature on Edgar Allen Poe´s anniversary together with The Black Cat by the late Bernie Wrightson and in 2016 I did one of my usual posts with lots of original art from series like Cage to Hellblazer. At the moment I haven´t anything prepared and I first have to sort through all of the stuff I have collected since my last one but I think if I write a new one it will probably be one with original art pages.


Surprisingly enough I found a video that - amongst a few other things - features Richard Corben´s artwork and those who want to skip that and go right to the Richard Corben part it starts at around 10 : 45 minutes.



From comics we make the jump to hot sexbombs as I pay tribute to a spanish massita who also had her anniversary on the 1st of October.

Sonia Monroy turned 47 and she became famous as a member of the aptly named all busty pop group Las Sex Bombs whose debut album sold 50,000 copies in Spain and went gold. She also was on the spanish version of Survivor and her best appearance was on a talk show where she wore a dress with the mother of all cleavages rivaling Kylie Minogue´s plunging mega cleavage in I Just Can´t Get You Out Of My Head and it´s a miracle she didn´t have a wardrobe malfunction although the dress didn´t leave anything to the imagination where her 38D airbags are concerned either.


Back when I spent my summer vacations in Spain I always tried to tape as much of spanish tv as I could because it had to help me survive german tv for the rest of the year. So one year I was very tired when I finally arrived home and decided to leave setting up the vcr for the next day and Sonia Monroy´s appearance was the first thing I saw on spanish tv. I set up the vcr the next day but of course the show was not repeated and it took me a few years to find even some small clip on the internet. From then on setting up the vcr was always the first thing I did when I came home.



You can find more celebrity birthdays from October the 1st in this post and we are skipping October the 2nd ( since I haven´t written a post on that day and don´t have the time to go through the list of anniversaries now ) and go directly to Today´s dynamic duo of cult sirens. There are a lot of pretenders to 70s jiggle television, but few ever offered the jiggle of V.I.P.


This series wasn’t just a showcase for security expert Pamela Anderson , she also had a bevy of bodyguard sidekicks, incuding the lovely five foot three 36DD live wire Natalie Raitano who celebrates her 53rd birthday.


Pamela was without a question the big pull of V.I.P. and the reason why the show happened in the first place but Natalie brought her a - game whenever the stories were about Nikki and I would have liked to see more of her. Thankfully Natalie did appear in a bikini shooting on the show.


And for more on such baywatchable babes like Erika Eleniak ( who is of course most famous for her incredibly steamy striptease in UNDER SIEGE ), Krista Allen ( best remembered for getting her freak on as french blow up sex doll EMANUELLE in 8 made for tv movies ) or natural born go go dancer Carmen Elektra check out my latest BAYWATCH SPIN - OFF POSTS.


One of the things I like about writing this section is that I always learn new things - especially about cult sirens who most often slip my mind - and I had no idea that lots of guys had already done their stretching exercises to Natalie’s aerobics show Hip Hop Body Shop on ESPN2.


She also left us all bodyslamming ourselves as female wrestler Luscious Lola in Slammed and appeared in the tv show Pink from where you can find some webisodes on YouTube. Natalie studied ballet, gymnastics, skiing, the piano and singing and was a member of a musical group called Breeze.



We make another time jump from the 90s back to the late 70s and early 80s with Pamela Hensley who turns 68. You may have seen her in the original Rollerball with James Caan or in Doc Savage : The Man of Bronze ( which is kind of a comic book connection since while there were comic books about Doc Savage he originated in 30s and 40s pulp magazines ) but she is best known as Princess Ardala on Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.


At this point I want to apologize to my regular readers in advance because I am afraid I don´t get around mentioning 80s cult siren Markie Post. You see, not only did Pamela Hensely appear on The Six Million Dollar Man with Lee Majors who played stuntman and bounty hunter Colt Seavers on The Fall Guy where Markie Post had one of her best known roles - bail bonds contract babe extraordinaire Terri Michaels - but she also guest starred in an episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. So I absolutely must mention her but I will try to keep it shorter than my usual add ons.


Produced by Glen Larson, the Buck Rogers show struck a chord with a generation of mostly male viewers in the early 80s despite lasting a mere two seasons. What was it about the show that captured the imagination ?

Was it a succession of challenging plots and cutting edge writing ? Was it a weekly dose of high energy action and gritty adventure ? Or perhaps it was the show’s extraordinary vision of the future ? Or was it the space babes ?


Because lets face it : that’s what it was really all about. Hot space babes.


The show was chock full of gorgeous gals, bursting at the seams in the latest and greatest space spandex outfits the galaxy had to offer, and Buck got busy with so many of them even Captain Kirk would’ve been jealous.



And among all of this sci fi sex appeal avalanche Pamela Hensley still stands out. She never shows a trace of self - consciousness, even as she struts around in a sequin - bedecked bikini with the most bling - encrusted viking - inspired hat ever to grace the imagination of the maddest hatter ever born. And which red blooded male could forget her hot dance scene ?


There is no question about it : the character of Princess Ardala simply oozes sex. Always slinky to the extreme and wearing the least amount of clothing as possible, this self - entitled princess is more obsessed with getting Buck into the sack than ruling the galaxy. Ardala is sly, confident, manipulative and sneaky, and Pamela Hensley - a strikingly attractive woman - brings this off with a grace which makes one wonder why she didn’t go on to become a huge star ( her last major role was as the titular character´s lawyer buddy in Matt Houston ). She virtually disappeared from the screen after that and according to my research the reason is that Pamela simply decided to have a family life instead of a big movie career.


Although Ardala appeared in three episodes, it’s a pity the series didn’t utilize her more often as Hensely is terrific in the role and her relationship with Buck is both complicated and engaging. It could have proved to present quite a conundrum for Buck as time passed and he found he was growing fond of the relentless, sexually charged princess despite himself.



Speaking of which I must call foul on TOPLESS ROBOT for ranking Pamela Hensley only as the number 2 in his list of The 9 Sexiest Space Babes of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century behind Erin Gray. Because while her character is the better ally and friend he didn´t call it The 9 Best Female Companions of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. The list are the sexiest space babes of that show and there Pamela clearly has Erin Gray beat. I would even rank Markie Post - who is only in the number 3 position even though she looks outstanding in her spandex jump suit - before Erin Gray.


Yup, now comes the part I mentioned earlier with Markie Post who is most famous for her roles on Night Court and The Fall Guy since - as longtime readers already know - I have to use every chance to mention Markie Post.


But The Fall Guy didn´t just have 80s Power Girl Markie Post they also put blonde bombshell Heather Thomas in the show right from the beginning.


Heather played stunt body double ( and what a body it was ) Jody and her job was to keep the male viewers hooked by providing eye candy. She was in all episodes except for an episode in the first season. Yes, fan service is not as new as some people might want you to think and Heather Thomas mainly got the part because of her absolutely amazing bikini figure. OMG !


For generations of adolescent young boys the only highlight of the week was the short moment when Heather appeared in her famous blue bikini.


Like most growing teenagers I watched that show religiously but the biggest part of its appeal for me were sexbombs like Heather Thomas and Markie Post who didn´t appear as often in a bikini as I would have liked.


Markie Post played bail bonds contractor Terri Michaels ( who replaced previous bail bonds contractor Samantha Jack played by Jo Ann Pflug ) beginning with Season 2 and at the beginning she played a minor role.


One of the producers must have realized what a waste it is to have somebody like Markie on the cast without letting her " show off what her Mama gave her " like they say Today and the rest is 80s tv history. Markie Post got more involved in the stories where she stole the scene from Heather Thomas as soon as she donned a bikini ( mainly in Season 3 ).


Coming back to Heather Thomas, thanks to her absolutely stunning 37 ( ! ) - 23 - 32 measurements and the exposure in The Fall Guy she became a famous pin up model with posters on every hormone driven boy's bedroom wall who even managed to replace Raquel Welch on the number one spot !


80s Power Girl Markie Post is probably the best known cult siren on the blog because not only have I done many re - posts of her original post .


I also keep mentioning her in other posts and her original post is in the Top Ten Posts widget that appears on every post. Since I have done so many different versions it is not so tragic that I did not do a re - post last year even though I did the last version of her cult siren entry in 2016 .


And you can find more celebrity birthdays from October the 3rd in last year´s post about Kurt Busiek and George Perez iconic run on AVENGERS although a few of them like Mar Saura or Frank Miller are dated wrong.


Longtime readers know that one of my pet pevees on this blog is celebrating all the brave actresses who turn insufferable dreck into bearable entertainment by taking their clothes off or at least show what their Mama gave them and who don´t get enough recognition for that .


Now ever since I mentioned all natural 36C - 26 - 36 Jacqueline Collen ( whom you might have seen on other tv shows like Conan, Hercules or Pacific Blue ) who was the best part of the tv show The Adventures Of Sinbad that aired after Hercules : The Legendary Jourenys and Xena became such huge successes ( even if she never showed the full potential of her breast features ) in my latest MIKE MIGNOLA APPRECIATION POST ( where you not only can find more HELLBOY pages by Richard Corben but also a plethora of Sindbad related stuff like the Sinbad cartoon that aired when I was a kid, Hanna Barbera´s SINBAD JR AND HIS MAGIC BELT, yet another Sindbad cartoon as well as an episode of THE ADVENTURES OF SINBAD with Bret The Hitman Hart ) I have been swamped with requests.


So here is episode 19 from the first season called Trickster from which I made the butt shot GIF above. By the way, it´s really hard to come by any material of Jacqueline Collen so if anybody out there knows where I can find more pictures, GIFs, videos or any info please send me an e - mail through the direction in the About Me box or let me know through the comments below. I love to get some feedback from my faithful readers.



Since I already mentioned the various Sinbad cartoons here is one from Golden Films with a quite different look and as far as I can tell from the comments there are a lot of people who have fond memories of this.



What I have fond memories of is cult siren Debra Paget and her übersexy snake dance in The Indian Tomb in an almost - not - there costume that only got through the movie censors of that time through a miracle since it left nothing to the imagination. With her incredibly raunchy performance sexbomb Debra Paget shot entire generations of prepubescent boys into puberty prematurely and it´s no wonder that she received more horny fan letters than such ultimate silver screen sex icons like Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe after the movie hit theaters. I featured Debra Paget heavily in the aforementioned Mike Mignola post but I wanted to include one of the many remixes of her snake dance that you can find on YouTube.



So far I haven´t traveled to Egypt myself but for all those globetrotters that might fancy a journey to the land of sexy belly dancers, magic lamps and mummies here are some tips on the best street food you should try.



It´s back to comicbooks and from the busy streets of Cairo we come to the murky swamps of Lousianna with the Swamp Thing since I included a few pages of Richard Corben´s issues of the book. Which are a must for every Richard Corben or Swamp Thing fan. One of the reasons why I like this video is that it not only talks about Alan Moore´s input but also the contributions of artists Rick Veitch, Steven Bissette, John Totleben ( I don´t think anybody outside of Germany can really appreciate a guy with his name being on SWAMP THING ), Alfredo Alacala and editor Karen Berger which are sadly and often overlooked when talking about this historic run.



Speaking of comic heroes with bad movies, I would have loved to include something from the 1975 Doc Savage, Man of Bronze film with Ron Ely but there are only a few videos about that trainwreck out there. And most of them only because there have been some rumours that Dwayne " The Rock " Johnson is supposed to star in a remake. Anyway, the other cult movie that I mentioned Pamela Hensley starred in is the original Rollerball movie with James Caan ( there was an actual remake of that movie starring none other than Dean Cain who played Superman in LOIS & CLARK - THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN alongside cult siren Teri Hatcher ) which is probably not very well known to Today´s audience. And since my pet pevee is shining a light on the obscure, weird or unjustly forgotten here is a video that explains why this science fiction classic is a must see movie as it addresses a lot of social and politic topics that are still relevant Today.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best


Have no fear, the Man of Bronze is here !

No comments: