Sunday, January 05, 2020

Robot Slugfest Sunday with Russ Manning !

Initially this was supposed to be part of the bonus section in my Don Heck tribute about his work on Wonder Woman but then I decided that an artist of the caliber of Russ Manning deserves at least one full post to himself.


Now I am not saying that my reading taste is especially eclectic ( which anybody who follows this blog over a certain period of time can attest to because I am most often very fond of comics or runs most comicbook afficionados wouldn´t touch with a ten foot pole ) but as far as the comicbook adaptions of Tarzan are concerned I stray from the norm.

Apparently most people prefer either Burne Hogarth or Joe Kubert while I was always a Russ Manning fan. My movie Tarzan was Johnny Weissmüller and my comic Tarzan was drawn by Russ Manning. I guess I just have a thing for a clear style and his slick linework, strong composition and dynamic storytelling appealed to be before I even knew why I liked it.


When I started my comicbook reading career superhero comics hadn´t the stranglehold on the industry they have now so they were just a small part of the cake. Marvel Comics had just started a few years ago and here in Germany they only published a handful of series so everyone could afford to read the complete Williams Verlag line. Because of that comicbooks served all kind of genres from horror to fantasy, funny, science fiction, western, funny, pirates etc. Russ Manning worked in a few of these fields but he´s most famous for his association of Edgar Rice Burroughs´ Lord of the Jungle - he drew most of the TARZAN and KORAK pocketbooks I read as a kid - as well as his own creation the science fiction classic MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER for Gold Key Comics which will be Today´s main feature.


And not because I think the series is more important but because I found more original art for MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER than for the TARZAN and KORAK series. Also regular visitors know that I like to include the colored versions of the original art pages in my BLACK AND WHITE posts and that was much easier for MAGNUS because with this series you have issue numbers. Not that there are not Gold Key Comics of TARZAN and KORAK with Russ Manning art which are numbered. But while most original art from MAGNUS includes the number of the issue and which page it is the same is not true for Russ Mannings work on the Lord of the Jungle books.


Which very often included newspaper strips and Sunday pages. Anyway, I have always liked the bigger idea behind MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER which was way ahead of its time warning of the dangers of placing too much trust in machines and especially robotics. We now live in the year 2020 which was the far future when I was a kid so I am wondering if the year 4000 will be anything like it was depicted in this comic. A lot of the technology in these comic pages has already been realized - or even turned obsolete - so who knows how the year 4000 will be ? Not me since I won´t be around. I´m only happy that I got to live to the year 2020.

As usual I tried to stay with the original coloring as far as I could but in some cases the scans I found online were so bad that I had to resort to the reprints by Dark Horse Comics. Which are I think available in softcover and in hardcover. So there is no excuse if you got the Russ Manning itch.


There also was a MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER series from Valiant Comics that was part of their first wave and if there is one comic where I regretted that my brother had it on his pull list instead of me having it on mine it´s that one. If you see some of the issues in dollar bins at some comicbook convention and you haven´t already read the series please do give it a try.


Who knows ? You might enjoy it. But now to Russ Manning´s glorious art.  


Since this post was mostly improvised I had to do a lot of research which means we got links. As you may have noticed I haven´t written too much about the MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER series itself since it is still a gap in my comicbook collection but Thomas Parker on BLACK GATE Adventures in Fantasy Literature has a nice essay on the series called These Robots Are Revolting . You can also find reviews of the first issue on MAJOR SPOILERS by Matthew Peterson and if you think about buying some of Dark Horse´s reprint collections Michael Wolfe at the THE SLINGS & ARROWS GRAPHIC NOVEL GUIDE has short reviews for volume 1 , volume 2 and volume 3

As usual most of the original art in this post comes either from HERITAGE AUCTIONS or the COMIC ART FANS galleries ( sorry, I don´t remember where I found the rest ) while some of the color pages were provided by the fine guys and gals at THE PENCIL INK BLOG. Where you can find the cover as well as the obligatory page of interior Russ Manning art from Gold Key´s Magnus, Robot Fighter issue 1 , 2 , 9 , 12 and 17 as well as from Dell´s Tarzan issue 57 and 70 and Gold Key´s Korak, Son of Tarzan issue 7 and 10 and Dell´s western comics Wyatt Earp and Queen of the West Dale Evans issue 15 . You might also want to check out their post on Detective Comics 518 which has a Jim Aparo cover and interior art by Don Newton.


Speaking of Russ Manning´s Tarzan, the first address for all things Tarzan is of course Bill & Sue - On Hillman´s ERBzine where I found the page from Gold Key´s Tarzan 163 by Russ Manning. You can read the full issue in two parts ( part 1 / part 2 ) and the following one ( part 1 / part 2 ). I haven´t yet had time to look any further but I´m sure there are more full issues. 

Now it´s time to continue with our list of celebrity birthdays and the first candidate is a regular, none other than hasian mega sexbomb Jeannie Mai who turned 41 on January the 4th. Mai Oh Mai, what a great way to start the new year ! I have mentioned Jeannie Mai so often in connection with ultimate 40D cosplay sex goddess Yaya Han that I had to start alternating them, so that if I wrote a bit more about Yaya Han in one post I would write a bit more about Jeannie Mai in the following one. Just to prevent my readers from suffering Yaya Han - over - saturation although in my opinion you can never have too much Yaya Han in your life or on your blog.


So far I had written six posts on Yaya - two of them are pretty safe but the other four are absolutely not safe for work - and I keep mentioning her on various JLA casting posts and any other posts involving asian sexbombs like Kiana Tom, Ava Cadell, Akira Lane, Miko Lee, Gail Kim or Minka and I swear the completely NSFW BIG YAYA HAN POST is still in the pipeline. In the meantime I have made two new posts about Yaya which showcase a part of her incredible anatomy that I have ignored too often - her legs.


Which is unbelievable because not only does Yaya have a set of legs that can give you an instant erection she has also demonstrated in her Chun Li pics that she can spread her legs better than Jennifer Lopez in Hustlers .


Not only does Yaya Han look like she could star in a Russ Meyer movie Super Sonico sounds like a name from a Russ Meyer movie, especially SuperVixens where every woman had the word super in her name.


Although it would probably be something a bit more erotic like Super Spermico. Speaking of sperm, as my personal nurse and blow up sex doll Yaya would have to give me at least three daily spongebaths although instead of a sponge Yaya can use her big 40D oppai to massage my boner until I am ready for her patented extreme asian ejaculation escalation.


You can read more about why Yaya should be my private nurse and how she inspired my new comic VERSAUTE BETTGESCHICHTEN in this post .


I DREAM OF JEANNIE MAI ( AND WAKE UP WITH A HUGE ERECTION ) !

One reason why Miko kept popping up in the posts about Yaya Han is that I needed a body double for Yaya´s more explicit sex scenes I had in mind.


Which is not ideal since Yaya Han has a 40D bust and Miko Lee is nowhere near in that league. Thankfully it looks like hasian talk show host Jeannie Mai is auditioning for the part and while she also is a bit smaller than Yaya in the chest area she does have an impressive skill set. I am convinced.


This hot sexbomb is of vietnamese descend and even though she is " only " a 37C and not a 40D like Yaya I think she could be a body double for her.


At least it would be fun to put her body to the test for the sex scenes.


Now I have gotten some comments that I should ease down with over - sexualizing Jeannie Mai but that´s not easy when you keep in mind my obsession about asian women and the fact that Jeannie has never made a secret about what a sex freak she is and how much she enjoys having sex.


I mean, literally the very first thing I found with her was the video with her boob exercises in which she admitted to doing them not only to make her breasts look better because she enjoys men drooling all over them but with the specific intent of getting guys harder than unto a thing of iron !


The topic of sex has come up quite frequently on THE REAL TALK ( I´m just glad that I have not found a source for it because I would watch it 24 / 7 just to get some glimpses of Jeannie ) so we know that Jeannie just loves to dress up be it for Halloween or in the privacy of her bedroom.


On top of that she has the perfect bubblebutt - like most asian girls - so it´s no wonder her ex hubby always tried to persuade her to wear a thong ( remember the thong incident ? ), she admitted to frequently using all kind of toys to spice up her sex life and she has gone on record that her favorite location to let her inner nymphomanic really loose is a hotel room because : " There are certain things I just can´t do at home. I eat at that table. " So you tell me, am I really exaggerating here or am I falling short ?



Normally I only include one video of style queen Jeannie Mai in a post but since I saved this one especially for her birthday I might as well use it.



I swear, when I posted the cover of KING with Jill Marie Jones I had no idea that she celebrated her 45th birthday Yesterday. As usual I came across some animated GIFs of her while looking for something else.


Of course I immediately tried to find out more about this afro - american aphrodite because I have rarely seen a nubian sex queen who was so predestined for oral sex like Jill. Her full, soft lips are just made to be tightly wrapped around a huge, rockhard erection and her slightly hollow jaw and pronounced cheekbones are the sign of decades of intense deepthroating. This woman could give professional hookers blowjob lessons plus with her big 34D coconuts she will get you good and ready.


Like I said, I tried to find out more about Jill which also includes looking for more pictures and animated GIFs but so far I have not found that many.

So if you know where I can find more pictures with jiggly Jill or even some high quality animated GIFs please write me an e - mail or let me know in the comments below. I did however find some information about Jill and it seems I was right with my assessment of her oral sex skills because she is a former cheerleader. And the main function of cheerleaders is to endure the sexual assault of the perverted jocks in the after game victory orgies.


I guess Jill got her deepthroat training during her two years as a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and one additional year as a Dallas Mavericks dancer.


Now I know that I have seen Jill before and wouldn´t you know it she was on Sleepy Hollow. Someday I have to continue watching the series but at the moment I am still too upset how one of the main characters left. And that´s all I am going to say about it since I don´t want to spoil anything.


Coming back to Jill while I didn´t count on her being a professional dancer I am not surprised that she modeled before concentrating on acting and producing, putting her ( all natural ) 34D - 25 - 36 measurements to good use. I´m not listing all of her credits but she is best known for the role of realtor Toni Childs in the UPN / CW sitcom Girlfriends.Hopefully I can watch more of her work until her next anniversary so I can write more.



As I always say : writing posts lead to other posts. Originally blonde bikini beach body Pamela Paulshock´s 50th anniversary was part of this post but since it became longer and longer ( since I had been planning to write about her forever ) I had to do another spin - off post. Of the spin - of post. In any case you can find the new post where we talk about all things related to bikini contests, bikini videos and bikini sexbombs like Terri Runnels, Torrie Wilson or Tylene Buck in this brand new spin - off post .
 

And you can find more celebrity birthdays from the 5th of January in this post which was supposed to be a THORSDAY WITH ERIK LARSEN post but then turned into a recap of the year 2016 and a lot of stuff about Marvel Comics Epic Collections line which back then were a pretty new thing.



There also is an eclectic selection of birthdays from January the 2nd up until January the 14th in my post on issue 10 of Mark Waid and George Perez´ brilliant run on THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD ( which I will wrap some day ) so I guess this link will pop up in a few posts until January the 14th.

It´s back to science fiction and Russ Manning with the last work of his career : the STAR WARS newspaper strip about which I was completely oblivious. But that´s one of the upsides of writing this blog : I constantly learn of new and exciting comicbooks. The downside is that I then want to buy all of these great comicbooks and I only have a very limited budget.


Anyway, back when George Lucas was doing the first Star Wars movie ( which for me is neither Star Wars nor Star Wars - A New Hope but simply Krieg der Sterne in case you are wondering ) he wanted the best artist for a newspaper strip which was Russ Manning. Russ was thrilled by Star Wars and after 12 ( !!! ) years on Tarzan he wanted a change of scenery. He had alsways been a science fiction fan so this assignment was right up Russ´ alley. Sadly he passed away before he could finish the series but it was very capable continued by another Russ, Russ Helm and Alfredo Alcala .


Today licensing Star Wars is more or less a guaranteed success but way back when Marvel Comics did the first comicbook adaption it was much riskier. Nobody wanted to bet on George Lucas´ little movie and Stan Lee flat out refused to do the comic. It was Roy Thomas who finally convinced Stan Lee to do it and the timing couldn´t have been better because soon after Marvel Comics was facing a financial crisis and if it hadn´t been for the huge success of Star Wars they would have lost the company. Those that remember Star Wars Marvel Years know that they told new stories aside from the movie adaptions and the newspaper strip also tells a third string of stories with new characters. Holy continuity calamity, Batman ! 



What has reignited my passion for the entire Star Wars universe is not the new movie ( after seeing the previous one I´ll wait until it´s on tv ) but The Mandalorian, a new tv series which I think is available in Amerika through Disney +. Here in Germany you have to find it on the internet or wait a few years until it gets translated to german ( yeah, have just fun waiting for it, suckers ) so I don´t know. The first season is over and in my opinion this is THE BEST Star Wars related thing since Return of the Jedi.



It makes me want to go out and buy the new Star Wars comics by Marvel - which feature an impressive array of artists like Stuart Immomen, John Cassaday or Terry Dodson - but they are constantly doing new collections so I will wait until they have come out with the definite compilation. In any case it seems that Terry Dodson is doing a lot of covers for the series ( interior art not so much aside from the Leia series ) and I found a lot of them while doing some research for my DON HECK WONDER WOMAN post so they might be the featured topic of a post somewhere down the line.


Speaking of adaptions of science fiction series, since I can´t include any full episodes of The Mandalorian here is another callback to my childhood.


Most people won´t remember it but when I was a little tyke and the future seemed so far away there was a tv show called Space 1999 - or Moonbase Alpha One in Germany - and it´s crazy that the far future of 1999 was already more than 20 years ago. Anyway, I am sure I have written about the series before since the comics were part of the german cult comicbook series ZACK but I don´t know where that was so I hope I haven´t already posted the first episode. These are really hard to find.



Keeping the science fiction theme going Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers was basically a space western and probably the best animated space western. Or at least on par with Saber Riders and the Star Sheriffs and Cowboy Bebop. I decided on this video instead of one from SyFy Wire because while I can deal with the constant unfounded snarky millenial comments or the presenter having no clue about the subject she talks about ( you know they only picked Jackie Jennings because of her huge melons ) I´m done when the guy who writes the thing accuses the Galaxy Rangers of ripping off material that was created AFTER Galaxy Rangers aired. Being stupid and knowing nothing about a subject that I can take but not doing your homework and not double checking facts that´s lazy.



Now you might not think there are many things a low budget sex romp like Spaced Out would have in common with Star Wars but you´d be surprised.

Which would be much easier to explain if I had included Barndon´s Cult Movie Review of the movie but I thought you would much rather see a movie instead of another video explaining things to you. So you either have to wait for the explanation until I can post the review or look for it on YouTube. After you watch the movie. Sheesh, are you one of those guys who wants to know everything about a movie BEFORE he sees it ?



I don´t know if Jennifer Lopez has the same problems regarding money as me ( I don´t think she spends as much money on comicbooks ) but this video has appeared and disappeared from a few posts now so this is as good a time to post it as any. Cash really rules everything around me.



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best


This is the way.

No comments: