Saturday, May 06, 2023

Anthologies accepted : DC horror comics !

Seeing as we have seven Marvel Comics posts in a row - if we count the Red Hulk posts and the Psylocke post and the Gambit post as two posts but even if not we still have five Marvel Comics posts in a row - I thought I should put up some DC Comics content just to keep things balanced.


And since I still had some original art from DC Comics horror anthologies left from when I did the research for my post about the tv adaption of Neil Gaiman's groundbreaking SANDMAN comicbook series I thought it's about time to post something for all the hungry horror fans out there.


Not that we don't have much horror - centric posts on this blog with features on GHOST RIDER , DYLAN DOG , VAMPIRELLA , DOCTOR STRANGE and the obligatory EC COMICS post now and then but it's been over two years since my last DC Comics horror post and more than three years since the one before that which was a spotlight post for Frank Robbins work on DC Comics most famous horror anthology HOUSE OF MYSTERY.


I know, there is the companion book HOUSE OF SECRETS which is also a very important book but I feel that HOUSE OF MYSTERY is more known.


And speaking of HOUSE OF MYSTERY and HOUSE OF SECRETS, since those books come up more often in my posts - simply because they are part of SANDMAN - we don't have any material from those anthology books in this post. And seeing as this is not my first post about DC Comics horror anthologies we can go right on to the good stuff. Oh, sorry to pull an Otto on you but there is one last thing I have to mention : since there are more occasions where I will use a cover from a series than interior art I have included more interior art in this post so I can save the covers for some other time. But now let's really enjoy some DC horror comics.


house of

stuff

links

and the PENCIL INK BLOG has the cover of The Witching Hour 14 by Neal Adams plus interior pages by Jeff Jones and EC Comics veteran Al Williamson and

videos

luna


silver bullet


company


this is based on short stories by roald dahl not the dc comics horror anthology


The episode features brunette bra - buster Tara Buckman ( her last name sounds like what guys say when they see her naked boobs ) who guest - starred on such tv shows like Kojak, The Rockford Files, Hart To Hart, Buck Rogers In The 25th Century, The Master, T. J. Hooker or Freddy's Nightmares but she is best known as the cleavage prone Lamborghini Babe in the first Cannonball Run movie next to all natural 40D - 25 - 36 Busenwunder Adrienne Barbeau a.k.a. the biggest boobs on 70s sitcom.

Adrienne also guest starred in Teacher's Aide from the 80s Twilight Zone tv show - which I included in my Halloween post about EC Comics Al Feldstein and you can read more about cult siren Adrienne Barbeau - as well as Bendis SUPERMAN and DC Comics SWAMP THING in this 2019 post.


Speaking of DC Comics SWAMP THING I have just re - posted the 1982 movie adaption by Wes Craven in my latest THORSDAY WITH RON FRENZ post and you can also find the tv movie Terror At London Bridge where she stars alongside Mr. Knight Rider, David Hasselhoff himself ( so you know the post has a ton of BAYWATCH sexbombs ) in the bonus section of my spotlight for Miss Bikini Korea 2019 contest winner Lim So Young .


stephen king rose red


king


sonia edde


who you gonna call


ghost


fernsehballett


busters


extreme


colossal


german ghostbuster


french ghostbuster adele and staying in France Pedro Angosto over at MAN OF BRONZE has a post on the second volume of The Demons Of Alexia which he describes as the french version of Mike Mignola's HELLBOY . Continuing with the supernatural theme there is also a post on Miguel Angel Parra's new book called Addams y Munsters taking a look at tv's most iconic scary yet funny families, a post on Martin Simonson's book Of Men And Other Monsters : The Modern Myths Of Frakenstein And Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and last but not least one about the third volume of John Stanley's MELVIN MONSTER ( which I used to have, it was one of the few books from the John Stanley Library that I found at a reasonable price after enjoying the annual LITTLE LULU issues from FREE COMIC BOOK DAY )


last


summer


jennifer love


huge tits


britney in germany with her boobs almost popping out


two more live performances of toxic with her boob shirt


her breasts didn't fall out in this one but what a perky pair


still working it


shake that butt


britney rehearsing butt hanging out


a different performance by britney but we also got rednex - sadly not with Busenwunder scarlett - craig david and the underground project with some hot dancers and janet jackson


saturday


casper


Besides the funny characters the company became best known for in later years like Casper, Richie Rich, Hot Stuff The Little Devil or Wendy ( of which you can find some of their advertisements for the Hostess Fruit Pies that appeared inside the pages of many a comicbook magazines in this post ) they also had super hero / crime fighting characters like the original Black Cat most notably drawn by Lee Elias ( on whom I did a spotlight post because people forget that he also did a lot of work in horror comics ) and before that they even published horror comics.


tales


darkside


Speaking of monsters, demons and devils Today's cartoon episode for my spanish speaking followers is the first episode of Demon Lord Dante and if you like this you can find more episodes on this channel. Now I thought this was the anime series Devilman under a different title - which is understandable because both were created by Go Nagai - but apparently the Devilman anime was ordered from Toei Animation as a toned down version of Demon Lord Dante so you know you are in for a ride. I know that there was some controversy not because of the violence or because it featured the devil but because it showed some naked boobs. The devil and violence is okay but we absolutely gotta save the poor children from those evil naked breasticles because that never leads to anything good.


Apropos evil naked breasts - or is that naked breasts on evil women - our pal Videobuck takes a look at another video rental store classic with The Howling II : Your Sister Is A Werewolf which was a guilty pleasure for us because of the sexual appeal of the main female villain which was just off the charts. I don't know if there was any hanky panky stuff going on between Sybil Danning and Christopher Lee but I bet her inclusion in the cast had a bigger part in him accepting the role than the official reason he gave the press which was that he had never been in a werewolf film. 


Let's face it, without 42C - 22 - 38 sex symbol and Andy Sidaris actress Sybil Danning playing the part of Stirba the evil werewolf queen - and baring her breasts in the movie - this sequel would be long forgotten.


Holy Full Moons, Batman ! One look at Sybil getting all animalistic and ripping off her shirt to show her huge rack will make anyone howl !


The producers also were aware of how much the movie owes to her which is why the scene with Sybil Danning revealing her substantial bare breasts was repeated 17 ( !!! ) times during the end credits screen crawl.


Which was especially frustrating for Sybil Danning because she was tired of being nude or at least topless in her movies so she planned to remain clothed in this film but due to the producers insistence - since they knew too well why people watched her movies - a compromise was reached where Sybil would agree to do a single topless shot. Little did she know how that short part would elevate the whole flick to cult movie status.


Speaking of things becoming iconic, one day Sybil arrived on set with an eye infection and was not sure what to do so the director Phillipe Mora told her to just wear sunglasses and when she protested because the scene they were shooting was indoors he just said that as the queen of the werewolves she could wear whatever she wanted. And wouldn't you know it the image of Sybil Danning wearing sunglasses became so iconic that it started a trend in 1980s horror movies where sunglasses became common most notably in the cult classic vampire movie The Lost Boys.

Here's an interesting fact : not a lot of people know but during World War II Christopher Lee worked for British Secret Services and was a Nazi hunter so when the crew arrived in Czechoslovakia to shoot the movie they got a big welcome because Christopher was a war hero down there.


For more on 1980s buxom b - movie icon Sybil Danning check out my FANTASTIC FOUR FRIDAY WITH PAUL RYAN post where I included the 1980 science fiction cult classic Battle Beyond The Stars ( yes, the original video from Creature Features was deleted by YouTube but I managed to find a replacement in high quality ) or read Sybil's 2016 cult siren entry .


loba


arteaga


extranormal


night visions


tiktok


Since I don't have a video in spanish about DC Comics Bronze Age horror anthologies or horror comics in general I am including one about IDW's Artists Editions because there is something I want to write about for quite some time now. And that is the price on these oversized books.


Which has gone up astronomically lately. I don't know if it's because of the pandemic, the war in Kroatia or fear of not getting enough of these but I have noticed that for the last few months the prices for the Artist Editions has gone up and they also don't seem to make the distinction between Artist Edition and Artifact Edition anymore. Which is kind of understandable because now that they have added the Artisan Editions it can get confusing for some uninitiated customers. Okay, for those who don't know an Artist Edition is a book that reprints original art pages in the original size - which is at least twice as big as the printed comics - for comic afficionados who don't have the money to buy the real thing.


They still cost an arm and a leg but they are way cheaper than original art or at least they used to be. But we will come to that later. So an Artist Edition includes the art for complete issues and some selected covers and additional art. But there are instances when enough art can be found but you don't have complete issues. And that is what used to be called the Artifact Edition to differentiate them from the Artist Editions.


Then somebody had the brilliant idea of doing a cheaper - and much smaller - softcover edition for those comicbook fans who could not afford the Artist Editions but wanted to have the original art and they called these the Artisan Edition. Now for me this goes against the whole concept. Because the idea behind the Artist Edition is to have the pages in the original format so you can appreciate the art. Yes, you can't afford to buy these books but that's the point. You buy them because you can't afford them. Because that is the moment when you ask yourself if you truly love comicbooks or if you like like them for safe entertainment.


Because if you love love love comicbooks you will get them anyway and everything else be damned. And if you have one of these books you will see that they are worth it and as far as I know nobody ever said on his dying bed that he wished he had not bought that many comicbooks.


Anyways. with three different names for these books IDW will drop the name Artifact Editions, all the big hardcover books will be called Artist Editions from now on - because that is the brand they have established and that is what the customers want - and the softcover Artisan Editions will be continued also. Now let's talk about prices here. I recently read somewhere that retailers were complaining because they did not make a profit on these books. Which I find hard to believe. That they can not make much profit - that could be. But no profit at all ? These books are solicited with a price - or at least they were - of something between 75 and 100 bucks but were sold for something between 115 and 150 bucks.


Now I had four artist editions - which sounds like a lot keeping in mind how expensive they are - and I don't recall all of the amounts I paid but I wrote about buying my first THOR BY WALTER SIMONSON Artist Edition in my Walter Simonson birthday post from 2019 and while the real price ( the one that was printed on the book ) was 100 bucks the store price would have been between 140 and 150 but I got it for less than 120.


Now for full disclosure, I had four Artist Editions : two THOR books by Walter Simonson, one Mike Zeck book and one John Byrne book ( about which I wrote in this post ). I had to sell my THOR books but I managed to hang on to the other two. I bought three new additions : X - MEN by Jim Lee , Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT and the EC Comics cover edition. The thing is these books were always in a price range between 120 and 150 bucks and since I am not that crazy I went for books that leaned more to the 120 side. And I also waited until I could get them with a discount.


For example the EC Comics Cover Artist Edition has a current price - on amazon Spain of 145 EUROS is listed with a regular price tag of 165 and I bought my copy for 103 EUROS plus 7 EUROS for shipping which makes a total sum of 110 EUROS. At first I wondered why this book was so much more expensive than previous Artist Editions but I found out soon enough because it's even bigger than the regular Artist Editions because back in the day they used even bigger paper. As they did with Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT book. Which I also got with something of a discount. And retailers were willing to give those discounts because they knew that the listed prices were too high. In fact I don't think I have paid the full price for any of the Artist Editions I bought. But now they say that they can't make a profit if a book is listed with 100 bucks and they have to sell if for 150.


What happened to the 50 bucks difference ? Man, when I still had Kerosin Comics I would have killed for a revenue of 50 percent. Anyway, as I have mentioned in past postings I am not going crazy and buying all the Artist Editions I can get because then they loose their special appeal but there are two solicited that I would be interested in. The first one is FANTASTIC FOUR BY WALTER SIMONSON - to make up for having to sell my Artist Editions of Walter Simonson's THOR - and the other is John Byrne's X - MEN since I only bought John Byrne's AVENGERS book because this one was not available anymore. But they are listed at 140 and 150 bucks and I don't know if I can get them. Now don't get me wrong you can still find some of these Artist Editions on amazon Spain with a bit of a discount.


For example just a few days ago they were selling the JOHN BUSCEMA MARVEL HEROES book - which has a regular price tag of 130 for 90 but since that does not include much material I am interested in I passed.


I mean, if it had been some of the later AVENGERS issues I would have been tempted but the book concentrates on his earlier work which was not as polished and if I do spend that much on a book it has to contain material that I am really interested in . Closing up the question of the prices I don't know if this is just my impression but I have read that IDW will stop giving prices for their books and instead they are listed under please inquire for prices and the retailers can make up what they want.


So at the moment you have normal books like Dave Stevens ROCKETEER listed with 130 EUROS and sold at 100 ( which may be because this was their first Artist Edition ), Alex Toth's BRAVO FOR ADVENTURE at 110 EUROS and Todd McFarlane's SPIDER - MAN listed at 130 EUROS and sold at 120 but the newer Artist Editions like Frank Miller's DAREDEVIL at 140 EUROS, Michael Golden's MARVEL STORIES at 145 and Kevin Nowlan's MARVEL HEROES at 180 EUROS are priced much higher from the get go.


echoes


wetten dass with britney spears


banner


quote of the day

No comments: