Saturday, April 04, 2020

Weird Science Fantasy with Joe Orlando

With this post I get to kill two zombies with one head shot : on one side I get a post between the DC Comics centered James Robinson posts and the next part of X - MEN MONTH with Arthur Adams ( which might need a second part ) which is all about Marvel Comics. On the other side it´s another chance to pay homage to those cult anthologies from EC Comics.


As a big fan of the EC Comics I´ve done a number of posts on the subject : I did a special black and white tribute post to William Gaines in 2017 with two full stories, one by Johnny Craig and one by George Evans, in 2018 I did two posts, one for the horror books and one for the other titles EC published and I also did special spotlight posts for Jack Davis and a black and white post with the complete original artwork of the story And All Throughout The House by Johnny Craig from THE VAULT OF HORROR 35 which was featured in the TALES FROM THE CRYPT movie from 1972.

For some mysterious reason I didn´t write any EC Comics posts last year but this year I have already written another post in honor of the late William Gaines which featured comic stories by Johnny Craig, Graham " Ghastly " Ingels and the subject of this post - Joe Orlando - as well as one in tribute to the late Bernie Krigstein with hopefully more on the way.


Now Joe Orlando also worked at Marvel Comics and DC Comics and at the latter he not only co - created the parody superhero team The Inferior Five with writer E. Nelson Bridwell, became the editor of such titles like Adventure Comics, All - Star Comics, Anthro, Bat Lash, House Of Mystery, Plop !, Swamp Thing and The Witching Hour and came up with the titles Weird War Tales and Weird Western Tales, he also brought a whole slew of Fillipino komik artists to DC Comics including such now well known names like Tony DeZuniga, Alfredo Alcala, Ernie Chan, Alex Nino, Nestor Redondo or Gerry Talaoc. But as I said, this post is all about his work on EC Comics.  


Joe Orlando started at EC Comics working on the more traditional magazines with their blend of crime fiction and horror stories.


And though he enjoyed doing all kind of materials his favorite subject was science - fiction so that´s what he did for the most part of his time at EC Comics. Now usually I try not to break up individual stories but if I did that with this post I could only include a few pages of original art. So instead I am putting more originals in this post since I want to showcase as much of Joe Orlando´s art as possible. Also the color pages are of poor quality ( I have no idea why since there have been reprints in archive editions with excellent restored coloring ) so it´s not a huge loss if I post less of them.


Today we have a somewhat different bonus section since we have a trio of comedians which doesn´t happen that often. Still I think that it fits the topic of the post because humor was always a part of the classic EC Comic strories, be it as bad puns by the horror hosts or as black humor that often had you laughing although you knew you shouldn´t. We start our comedic cruise on April the 3rd as Aries Spears turned 45. Some of you may not know who that is but don´t worry, a year ago I didn´t know either and I only came across him because I was looking for something else ( JaMILF Lee Curtis ? ) and came across his Arnold Schwarzenegger impression.



Turning the 45 around we get 54 which is Michael Mittermeier´s age and I don´t have to explain him to my german readers. He has become one of the elder statesmen of the german Kabarett scene ( I think he even got a self titled Kabarett show on tv ) which is a bit weird for me since I still can remember when Michael was one of the young and coming upstarts.



Longtime readers know that one of my pet pevees on this blog is celebrating all the brave actresses who turn insufferable dreck into bearable entertainment by taking their clothes off or at least show what their Mama gave them and who don´t get enough recognition for that .


So I have to mention the queen of body doubles, Shelley Michelle who turned 58 Yesterday. Shelley became famous as the body double for Barbara Streisand in The Prince Of The Tides, Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman ( she sure needed it ) and Kim Basinger in My Stepmother Is An Alien although I don´t know if Kim really had need of Shelley´s services.


Shelley also was in a few movies as an actress like Bikini Summer where she co starred with a few playmates. If you like " playmates go to the beach and take their bikinis off " movies it is good and entertaining.



Also celebrating her 54th anniversary was Jennifer Rubin, who debuted in Nightmare on Elm Street 3 : Dream Warriors, the first movie from the franchise I saw in a movie theater ( yep, I´m really an old fart ). I remember watching it in a really tiny theater with a very small screen but after 15 minutes I was so enthralled by the movie I completely forgot about it. You can find a lengthy analysis of the movie on RIVERS OF GRUE.


In the movie Jennifer Rubin appeared with the mother of all mohawks.


Horror fans may have seen her on tv shows like The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt and tv movies like Twists of Terror where she showed some skin. She appeared naked in The Wasp Woman, Saints and Sinners, Stranger by Night, Bitter Harvest and A Woman, Her Men And Her Futon.

We have a really big anniversary with Eddie Murphy who turned 59.


I mentioned him in a previous post but only briefly which is astounding since he is responsible for some of the biggest blockbusters and also worked with not only of the hottest afro - american aphrodites Hollywood has to offer but with the ultimate sexbombs in all of Tinseltown - period.


Which is the reason why I decided to spin off this part into a separate MOVIE RUMMAGE TABLE WITH EDDIE MURPHY featuring more strippers, playmates and cult sirens than you can shake a fake police badge at.


Now while one is already accustomed to the kids of Today having no idea what a big movie star Eddie Murphy used to be I am still a bit surprised that even those who know this and how influential he was as a stand up comedian always blank on the fact that Eddie Murphy also is quite the talented singer. I mean, he did all those sketches as Michael Jackson or Stevie Wonder ( heck, he even performed together with Stevie Wonder ).



Speaking of things people tend to forget, Adam Baldwin celebrated his 62nd birthday who starred in a movie that is often forgotten when people talk about comics movies. Although in this case The Shadow started out in pulp magazines and radio serials before receiving a comicbook adaption.



We start our Dearly Departed section for April the 3rd with blonde Doris Day. She appeared in a plethora of movies but my favorite is Pillow Talk.


Doris really was a great actress because she pulled off the shy and quiet wholesome housewife / Mom when she had the hot body of a playmate.


If you haven´t seen the movie check out MAKING NICE IN THE MIDWEST´s entry on Pillow Talk and Kimberly Truhler at GLAM AMOR takes a look at Doris Day´s stunning outfits in that movie in The Style Essentials - Doris Day makes a Statement in Jean Louis for 1959´s PILLOW TALK . April the 3rd also marks the anniversary of Marlon Brando´s birth and besides all the mainstream movies he did he left a lasting impression on pop culture as Jor - El in the good SUPERMAN movies. Way beyond just comicbooks.



From the distinguished competition we come to the other side of the street and Marvel Comics as Today´s first celebrity birthday is Robert Dowmey Jr. who turns 55. Although you could argue that he is done with the Marvel cinematic universe since they killed off Tony Stark / Iron Man in Avengers : Endgame. Which I guess they did because Robert wanted out.


I mean, if you have seen the How It Should Have Ended video to that movie you know that there were a dozen ways how they could have either prevented the death of Tony Stark or brought him back to life.


Anyway, a few months ago I bought Avengers : Infinity War ( which is really The Infinity Gauntlet but I guess Infinity War sells better ) and Avengers : Endgame since my Mom hadn´t seen them and after re - watching both movies knowing about all the unnecessary B.S. they put into them I have to say that compared to Avengers : Endgame Avengers : Infinity War is like Oscar material. In a few decades the producers will look back realize what they have done and not stop kicking themselves for how they completely ruined what could have been a legacy for the ages. But hey, we have to throw in a few jokes and pander to the SJWs because who cares about how these movies will be seen by future generations ?


In any case, I am highly doubtful if I will watch any Marvel movies from Disney´s next wave since I didn´t enjoy the last ones and how am I supposed to get hyped for the next ones if they start with Thorgirl and more Carol Manvers ? After so much rambling you probably expected me to include the video from How It Should Have Ended but instead here is one with Robert Downey Jr. visiting Daniel Brühl - who played an excellent Baron Zemo Jr. in Captain America : Civil War and who also has spanish roots - in Berlin for a special Berlin breakfeast ( Baron Zemo style ! )



We also have the 57th anniversary of Graham Norton and the fact that it took me quite a while to find a suitable video reminds me how long it has been since I watched the show on a regular basis. I´m just not up to date when a bigbreasted sexbomb was last on the show and since I need most of the clips I have bookmarked for specific birthdays I´m going with this show that has Tom Hanks, Joseph Gordon Levitt and the gorgeous Gemma Arterton as guests. Gemma´s giant - sized 34F gazongas almost spill out of her dress and sorry, but I could not find the video in a better resolution.



Speaking of women who know how to fill out a cleavage, you might think that after the EDDIE MURPHY RUMMAGE TABLE spin off post we got rid of all the playmates but we still have Ava Fabian who celebrates her 58th birthday. I have to admit when I first read her name I wasn´t quite sure about her but there was this immediate feeling of familiarity a.k.a. instant erection and after doing a bit of research I had to include her in this post.


Named as both " Most Beautiful " and " Best Body " by all the guys in her senior class ( which may have something to do with her greek and italian roots as well as her stunning 36D - 24 - 34 measurements ) Ava did some department store and catalog modeling in New York after high school. She was chosen as PLAYBOY's Playmate Of The Month in August 1986 and has graced the cover of the PLAYBOY and various special editions five times.


Alluring Ava Fabian hit the world with a double - whammy : she began her movie career at just about the same time that her sexy PLAYBOY spread hit the newsstands in August 1986. Since that one - two punch, this knockout has been busy beautifying countless movies including Dragnet and Ski School but you might also have seen her on a few bit pieces on the small screen like her two episodes of Married With Children, quite a few episodes of Erotic Confessions as well as on the Black Scorpion tv series ( I have written at length about all of the BLACK SCORPION movies, the tv series and the comicbooks in my post on b - queen Joan Severance and about the other cult sirens who were on BLACK SCORPION in my second FEMME FATALE FRIDAY post about Will Eisner´s THE SPIRIT ). Ava is often cast as window dressing, but she's even better when undressing.


Her biggest role to date is the ravishing " Roxy " in Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael from 1990. It's a damn shame that, even though she plays the title character, she appears in very little of the film, as the plot centers on a small town awaiting her return. At any rate, she gets more exposure in a load ( and you'll blow yours ) of PLAYBOY videos. It's a great body of work.


She was featured in a revisited layout for PLAYBOY in 2010 and she has appeared in numerous PLAYBOY videos : together with Lisa Mathews in PLAYBOY´s Sexy Lingerie 2 : Decent Exposure & Beauty And The Beach , with brabuster Kerri Kendall and hasian Carolyn Liu ( who not only starred in a few Andy Sidaris movies but also took her clothes off on TUTTI FRUTTI ) in PLAYBOY´s Sexy Lingerie 3 video in the segments Body Motion , Bustin Out , Lasses in Leather and with Devin DeVasquez in Busted .


In 2002, sixteen years after her centerfold, Fabian was one of only five playmates selected to become a sex doll a.k.a. a PLAYBOY Doll, a limited edition set of anatomically correct proportions and soft plastic skin.


From America we make our way to Spain as Norma Duval turns 64 who was the star of the Folies Bergere in Paris for several years. It’s news, good nudes, when a dancer from that sexy revue decides to share her fine form with moviegoers. And that’s just what the brunette has done, not only on her local boob tube but on the big screen as well, where we can all partake in her perverse talents. It all began with some accidental skin in Préstame a tu mujer ( Lend Me You Wife ) in 1968. It took over a decade, but finally fans were treated to her jugs intentionally exposed in Los Bingueros ( 1979 ). Norma was peeped opening up her bra one last time in La Mujer del juez ( The Judge´s Wife ) in 1984. While she still works the small screen, her big talents have yet to get the close - up they deserve.



Our last birthday shoutout goes out to a local boy, the late Chlodwig Poth, who worked mostly in cartoons and german satire magazines like the famous Pardon or Titanic which he helped found. The only reason why he didn´t outright do comicbooks is that - until this day - comicbooks are not as well regarded as political cartoons or caricatures here in Germany. But as you can see in the illustration below he always used word balloons and other comic techniques in his work. I remember many of his comic stories in my school books since he did a lot of social and political commentary.


I have to admit I haven´t read Harrow County myself but I trust Comic Tropes good taste and after so many posts about horror comics in general and EC Comics in particular I have to admit that I´m running out of videos.



Which makes the next one a bit weird since I found a new review of the original Tales From The Crypt movie on History Of Comics On Film. Now I don´t know how it is in the States but here in Germany you had to be careful when renting the movie at the local video store ( god, I really am old ) because there was another one called the Tales From The Crypt movie which were just the first episodes of the tv show cut together.



Since I have already posted two episodes of the Tales From The Cryptkeeper cartoon and I don´t want my readers to suffer more than necessary here is Los Guerreros De La Noche which I´m guessing is the Darkstalkers anime. I don´t know much about Darkstalkers except that there is a very scantily clad vampire chick that is pretty popular with male artists and a catlady as which hasian Yaya Han cosplayed once ( drool ).



New to the blog ? Everything you need to know about TALES FROM THE KRYPTONIAN : top ten posts / more posts of interest / best of the best


Open Sesame.

No comments: